News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Someone shine a light on this..?

Started by threepot, July 31, 2017, 06:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Every now and again,when I switch headlights on,bike 'jolts',like it cuts out for a split second? Lights work OK. I've also changed the handlebar switch,thinking it was faulty? Thanks :icon_scratch:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

Check/replace the headlight relays, they may be wet inside, and shorting possibly.
If you disconnect the switching power side, does the same happen?.
That would eliminate relays and headlights.
What condition is your battery?, sudden load on an alternator can cause sudden, and short term load on the system creating electromagnetic braking effect.
Sudden load on the electrics could also highlight an engine earth problem.
Possibly....

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

threepot

Quote from: Nick Calne on August 01, 2017, 09:32:45 AM
Just leave the headlights on.
A habit of switching them off so all the power goes to the starter! :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Me too Mark, typical steamer paranoia... I think Nick is becoming used to owning a bike which has a little less character and refinement than the steamer  :augie

London_Phil

Can't even turn them off on the XC, no switch provided!!

JayDub

Quote from: London_Phil on August 02, 2017, 04:58:34 PM
Can't even turn them off on the XC, no switch provided!!
does it have a changeover relay though? Which turns them off while it's cranked.

Nick Calne

Quote from: JayDub on August 02, 2017, 04:48:47 PM
Me too Mark, typical steamer paranoia... I think Nick is becoming used to owning a bike which has a little less character and refinement than the steamer  :augie

How very dare you!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

Quote from: JayDub on August 02, 2017, 07:13:20 PM
does it have a changeover relay though? Which turns them off while it's cranked.

Just tried it, and yes, cuts headlight relay when engine cranks,, however, this is a Steamer thread, so like whatever.......

Sin_Tiger

There were variations with the looms or at least how they were connected. My 95 export model has no light switch and cuts the headlight during crank. The 95 with a switch does the same if the lights are switched on (if memory serves), can't test it right now.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

my 95 usa model has no switch and the lights stay on when cranking ...........been that way since new
it was manufactured in late 94
my 96 usa model  shuts them off when cranking as do both 98 usa models

ssevy

My eyes are always closed in prayer while starting, so I can't tell you whether my headlight is off or on :icon_wink:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

tonytiger

Just been out to start my 1996 steamer I turned lights on out of curiosity, the lights stay on but then again I have a choice ( lights on lights off )  :5moped