News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What chain lube to use?

Started by bretzg, November 24, 2005, 12:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bretzg

This '05 Tiger is my first bike in a long time that has a chain and I'm wondering what you long-time Tiger guys use to lube the chain? I see the manual says "Mobil Chain Spray or Mobilube HD80". The guy at my local Triumph dealer gave me a can of "Maxima Chain Wax" that is supposed to be O-Ring Chain safe. A buddy said he'd never use the wax as it doesn't stick to the chain and the O-Rings dry out. Any suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks.
gary b

Sincs

G'day

I have a Scottoiler fitted to my 02 Tiger it self lubes the chain and you don't need to worry about it again until the resevior is low. These are well known to improve the life of the Chain. You can adjust the amount of oil as well depending on conditions.. Exellent well worth having.

Sincs

apache

Ive been using Maxima chain wax, the synthetic one in the blue/b;ack can. seems to hold up decent. the only mess it makes is me putting it on, otherwise it sticks pretty good. I do mine every 200/250 miles.

Quote from: "Sincs"G'day

I have a Scottoiler fitted to my 02 Tiger it self lubes the chain and you don't need to worry about it again until the resevior is low. These are well known to improve the life of the Chain. You can adjust the amount of oil as well depending on conditions.. Exellent well worth having.

Sincs

Ditto. 33000 miles on the original chain must prove that it's worth the outlay.

Chris Canning

Wurth Dry lube,you won't get as many miles out of your chain as a Scot oiler,but then you won't spend half your life cleaning the crap off,pays yer money and takes yer choice.

The one big plus when you've been rideing in the rain,the chain never goes rusty.even if you let it stand for a couple of days.

apache

Being Im not familiar with scott oilers how long does a fillup last? dosent the oil fling off badly? might have to look into one myself.

Sincs

Hi

You do get a bit of oil flung off onto the rear rim but you can set the adjustment to minamise this. I would rather clean the rim a bit more than have to fork out for a new chain and sprockets earlier than needed. Check out their web site www.scottoiler.com there is to sizes I use the larger touring one.

Sincs

Foxy

The touring one lasts at least a couple of thousand miles between fill ups. Cleaning any fling is not a problem. In fact I prefer mine to fling off a little bit - makes keeping the back wheel clean alot easier. Even when it does come to cleaning the back wheel it is not alot of effort - put bike on centre stand, hold rag against rim and rotate wheel for one revolution. Certainly alot easier than the faffing about that comes with using conventional chain lube. Probably not pleasing to those that are anally retentive about the cleanliness of their bike, but mine was bought to ride.