News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Group Buy In for Happy Trails to fit Stock Tiger Mounts

Started by HappyMan, February 04, 2008, 08:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Tim had these available in the past and got ZERO response...
When I contacted him about 8-10 months ago and he said that, I told him I had never heard about those mounts..... and I am pretty plugged into Tiger stuff... I suggested he re-think it. It may not be in the cards to put a lot of time into Tiger aftermarket.

Here's the COLD - HARD - FACTS:
1. Tiger owners are not the type who spend a lot of money on their bikes.
Especially approaching 15% of the cost of a new Tiger.
2. Triumph has pretty much soured the aftermarket support by making changes all too often and not giving aftermarket folks an opportunity to re-coup their investment or perhaps there is just nothing really more to add.

If you want to make this work... Ask Tim about a 'package deal' which will let him do a dedicated production run of 'X' number of units; Completed by 'Y' Date, at a specified cost+shipping. But then... ONE person has to push it. Contact all the message boards and get you numbers together.
You'll have a MILLION dumb-assed questions.... because that's what motorcyclists do .... just give them the facts and tell them to go to the website and see for themselves. Keep in mind... everybody has a 'buddy' that can do 'anything' for 1/2 the price... just get your number that you agreed on.

PS: Will they hold more weight because the bags are bigger....  ?
      I can assure you.... they know more about what their panniers go
      through than what others will ever dare to do. ( except Sasquatch...
      he may be a bit 'touched'! )

Yes I agree with everything you said.  Everything except the part about Sasquatch since I don't know him... :roll:

I can't possibly get anything rolling without talking to Tim.  I'd be happy to contact Tim after the 18th to see what we can do. It's next to impossible to try to organize a bunch of bikers around buying something without any detail.  That, and I could organize 15 guys to say yes but I'd never be able to hold them to it.  That's a risk the MFG has to take.  I completely understand the business/profit end of things he has to deal with.  I deal with it on a daily basis myself.  I'll try to speak with Tim to see if he really has any interest and go from there.  Thanks!
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

ThreePutt

Quote from: "TigerTrax"PS: Will they hold more weight because the bags are bigger....  ?
      I can assure you.... they know more about what their panniers go
      through than what others will ever dare to do. ( except Sasquatch...
      he may be a bit 'touched'! )

I know the panniers will hold more weight, duh... :D  

Will the stock rack on the bike hold up to the extra weight. :?
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

TigerTrax

HAPPY...
Tim could probably take names/orders/credit card numbers thru a cut-off date. If you have enough to make the production run .. he'll go ahead and charge each person, if not... CHECKMATE.

CHYRON:
Look at the mounts on your Tiger..
they are pretty substantial. I know Sasquatch has these panniers and
HT mounts on his Tiger..... FYI... Sasquatch rarely rides a road... lives in
I-DA-HO !  He and Happy Trails are almost inseparable... He's probably their ' go try and break these' guy!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

HappyMan

I sent Tim an email today and explained pretty much the same thing and asked him to give me a call or drop me an email when he gets back so we could discuss if he'd like to try something again.  I think Happy Man and Happy Trails could go hand in hand.... :oops:

TigerTrax

Guys.. I just rec'd an e-mail and comments from Sasquatch ( Jay Jobes ).

He stated that 2 things became obvious:
The rubber mount bushings on the Tiger mounts needed to be replaced
a couple of times ( PIA ) due to vibration.

Secondly... once you get the aluminum panniers .... you'll never put the stock ones on again. So he would suggest just buying the  Happy Trails
mount racks for a very solid mount.

Here are some pics: http://sasquatch.smugmug.com/gallery/372063#14812628
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Sasquatch

Sorry for my absence.  I originally designed the mount for myself and HT.  I wanted to be able to go back and forth between aluminum and the stock panniers.  Trust my words.  Once you have the aluminum panniers you will NEVER put the plastic ones back on.

With that fact, the SU racks are much better and stronger.  They will actually add to the "roll cage" protection of your bike when you lay it over.

Anyone need a set of new roulette green panniers?  Used only for one ride.  Send me an email.  I need to ebay the suckers.

ThreePutt

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Sorry for my absence.  I originally designed the mount for myself and HT.  I wanted to be able to go back and forth between aluminum and the stock panniers.  Trust my words.  Once you have the aluminum panniers you will NEVER put the plastic ones back on.

With that fact, the SU racks are much better and stronger.  They will actually add to the "roll cage" protection of your bike when you lay it over.

Anyone need a set of new roulette green panniers?  Used only for one ride.  Send me an email.  I need to ebay the suckers.

Thanks for your input!  I didn't need to buy the boxes till next year, anyway. This will take the pressure off. I can make it a Winter project next year.
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

pit0rz

Thanks for the pics!  Looking through all of them, it looks to me like he changed the bags at some point?  The ones that are black look to have a different shape to them.   :?:
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

oldrider

Hey, those boxes look great!

I have been thinking about just that very thing but I do believe that I would enjoy the fixing that uses the standard Triumph brackets.

I like to have choices in the configuration of my bike.

I use my bike with no boxes, just the top box, just the side boxes, all three boxes and I would dearly like to have a set of those Happy Boxes to use on their own or with the (GIVI) top box!

I really like to be flexible according to what I am doing or where I am going at the time.

The big problem for me is the "total cost", not only the initial cost of the boxes but also due to both the exchange rate and the shipping to New Zealand.

Please put me down as a very interested party but dependant on final all up cost of getting them here.

Cheers John.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

HappyMan

Quote from: "oldrider"Hey, those boxes look great!

I have been thinking about just that very thing but I do believe that I would enjoy the fixing that uses the standard Triumph brackets.

I use my bike with no boxes, just the top box, just the side boxes, all three boxes and I would dearly like to have a set of those Happy Boxes to use on their own or with the (GIVI) top box!

I really like to be flexible according to what I am doing or where I am going at the time.

The big problem for me is the "total cost", not only the initial cost of the boxes but also due to both the exchange rate and the shipping to New Zealand.

Please put me down as a very interested party but dependant on final all up cost of getting them here.

Cheers John.

I'll be talking to HT after the 18th to see what we can do and to see what kind of interest there is out there.  Judging by this thread though I have serious doubts as to whether anyone would spend the money.  

I'll let you know how it progresses.

Sasquatch

Quote from: "pit0rz"Thanks for the pics!  Looking through all of them, it looks to me like he changed the bags at some point?  The ones that are black look to have a different shape to them.   :?:

Black boxes are the ones I built.  The aluminum ones were ones that HT mounted while my bike was at their shop for R&D work.

You can not go wrong with HT panniers.  They are high quality, very stout, waterproof, hold a ton of crap and give the bike the rugged look it needs.

Take my recommendation with an understanding that I am not an employee of HT, but I am very good friends with them and a very loyal customer.  Just want you to know to be fair, my opinion is slightly biased.

oldrider

Quote from: "HappyMan"

Cheers John.

I'll be talking to HT after the 18th to see what we can do and to see what kind of interest there is out there.  Judging by this thread though I have serious doubts as to whether anyone would spend the money.  

Hey, I was just trying to be upfront! It might prove to be just too much money when my other add on costs are taken into account!

If I was in USA it would be fine, I would give a firm yes!   :?  John.

HappyMan

Quote from: "oldrider"
Quote from: "HappyMan"

Cheers John.

Hey, I was just trying to be upfront! It might prove to be just too much money when my other add on costs are taken into account!

If I was in USA it would be fine, I would give a firm yes!   :?  John.

That's cool.  I didn't misunderstand you at all and I don't blame you one bit.  I'm just a little doubtful as to whether we'll be able to pull off a group buy of any sort.  No worries, just the facts.  I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

oldrider

Thank you, they are nice looking boxes!

I thought the ones Stretch modified for his bike looked terrific too! John.

HappyMan

Happy Trails never got back to me.  I'm swamped and out of the office this week and next.  If I haven't heard from him when I'm back I will contact him once more.