News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Group Buy In for Happy Trails to fit Stock Tiger Mounts

Started by HappyMan, February 04, 2008, 08:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

Happy Trails needs 15 orders to run a set of panniers and pannier mounts to fit the stock Tiger mounts.  

We need fifteen people interested so let's start the tally.

1 - I'm in.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Jacqueslemac

If postage to the UK isn't too expensive I might be interested.

JetdocX

For a steamer or Girly?

How much?
From parts unknown.

2aRover

Price, finish details are important. Steamer or Girly?   Also, if these fit the stock Tiger mounts, won't one have an exhaust cutout?

Fill us in.

Plus, I'm in Boise, just down the road, if you need some help.  :)

Cheers!
I drank what...?

HappyMan

Quote from: "JetdocX"For a steamer or Girly?

How much?

I assume Girly only.  That is what I was looking at but I don't know the difference between the two bikes and their mounts.

Price would be assumed at this point to be the same as what their normal price is.  Can't get confirmed pricing for a couple of weeks.  We need to see if we can generate 15 people interested at this point.

ThreePutt

Read the Jesse Bags thread for how this got started. It will save some confusion.
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

HappyMan

Quote from: "Chyron"Read the Jesse Bags thread for how this got started. It will save some confusion.

Great point.  Here's the link. http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4036

Are you interested Chyron?  I think the Tiger to Alaska is a great choice all Farkled up!

HappyMan

Insert crickets......(here)

TigerTrax

Hey Guys...

The ONLY models that came with STOCK saddle bags was
2002 - 2006.I believe in 1999 - 2001... they were ADD-ON Accessory items... you need to make the comparison to see if they match the std mounts.

Steamers used GIVI mounts, not part of this product.

Cut out for exhaust?? No... you normally order a smaller size for the exhaust side... go to the website and find what you like... check the price.. and see if you are in the game.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Stretch

If you're open to a friendly word...

You're not giving any information on these things.  You're just posting a very basic description and asking folks to commit to buying a set.

You need to post more information on the type, style, and size of the bags, hardware, locks, how they will work with the Tiger mounts, materials, finishes, photos, etc.

People want to know what they're committing to before they'll go on record as saying they'll plunk down several hundred dollars for something sight unseen.

HappyMan

Quote from: "Stretch"You need to post more information on the type, style, and size of the bags, how the mounts will work with the Tiger mounts, materials, photos, etc.

People want to know what they're committing to before they'll go on record as saying they'll plunk down several hundred dollars for something sight unseen.

Yes, you are correct but unfortunately I know very little myself.  All I know is what was posted in the Jesse bags post.  That HT can do it and they can't answer anything until after the 18th.  

I agree, but unfortunately I'm the wrong one to try and perpetuate this.  I don't know Tim.  If he could make a product for my Tiger I'm interested.  I believe the thought was not to commit but to see a tally of those that might commit since we don't have enough info on it.  Quite frankly it didn't sound like they could care less one way or the other if they made them for us....but it's easy to read something into an impersonal email response.  Their response to me was simply "get 15 together and we can do it."  Not that they'd love to sell me their product.   :icon_scratch

pit0rz

Sherry's reply to one of my emails today indicated that they had this product for sale in the past (or that's the way it sounded anyway).  I asked her some more questions, one of which were if they had any pictures.  No reply on that yet.
Since I am a picky fugger I'd like to see them.  I'm certainly willing to 'commit' on a contingency basis until I see the product, how it's made, what it's made out of.  How close they place the bag onto the bike, etc...  Looks like Bruin or TigerTrax or Curt might know Tim personally so maybe they can be of some help with logistics after the 18th.  I know I'm not going anywhere significant on el Tigre before then so I can certainly wait.   :pimp
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

HappyMan

Yes, I believe the only way we will get any momentum is if Happy Trails is willing to say "we'd love your business but in order to make anything on them I need to sell XX number of units.  So how can we at Happy Trails help facilitate this?"

If any of the riders here that might have some pull with them can have a conversation with them about it maybe we can get something done.  I had not intended to purchase until next riding season but if we need a group buy to make this happen I'll purchase now.

ThreePutt

I sent Tim an email asking about:

Cost, I assume it will be the same as the regular kit price.

Pre-mounted?  The way stock mounts work, they could be a bitch to line everything up just right.

If they are pre-mounted, would there be enough leg room for my short legged wife?

Strength? Will the stock mounts be strong enough to hold the all the extra crap the big boxes will hold?

I got the same reply. Tim was out an would answer on the 18th. After I get the answers I'll know if I'm in or not. I really won't need them till next year, but I may go ahead and get them.
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

TigerTrax

Tim had these available in the past and got ZERO response...
When I contacted him about 8-10 months ago and he said that, I told him I had never heard about those mounts..... and I am pretty plugged into Tiger stuff... I suggested he re-think it. It may not be in the cards to put a lot of time into Tiger aftermarket.

Here's the COLD - HARD - FACTS:
1. Tiger owners are not the type who spend a lot of money on their bikes.
Especially approaching 15% of the cost of a new Tiger.
2. Triumph has pretty much soured the aftermarket support by making changes all too often and not giving aftermarket folks an opportunity to re-coup their investment or perhaps there is just nothing really more to add.

If you want to make this work... Ask Tim about a 'package deal' which will let him do a dedicated production run of 'X' number of units; Completed by 'Y' Date, at a specified cost+shipping. But then... ONE person has to push it. Contact all the message boards and get you numbers together.
You'll have a MILLION dumb-assed questions.... because that's what motorcyclists do .... just give them the facts and tell them to go to the website and see for themselves. Keep in mind... everybody has a 'buddy' that can do 'anything' for 1/2 the price... just get your number that you agreed on.

PS: Will they hold more weight because the bags are bigger....  ?
      I can assure you.... they know more about what their panniers go
      through than what others will ever dare to do. ( except Sasquatch...
      he may be a bit 'touched'! )
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'