News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Talk me down, man....

Started by JetdocX, August 22, 2008, 04:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mordo

Quote from: "JetdocX"Or I could just light the fucker on fire and walk away. :lol:

Will you pull the starter and alternator first for me?  I need spares just in case.

Thanks!
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

So....I can probably do better parting it out at this point.

Good stuff:
Front forks with stiffer springs and gold valve emulators
Penske rear shock with external reservior, compression and rebound damping adjustments
Brand spanking new Galfer brake and clutch hoses all around with a little extra for bar risers/barbacks
Heated grips and heated grip handlebars
Undamaged fuel tank.  
Undamaged left side and front fairings
Slight scratched right side fairing (for street cred)
3 nology coils

some other stuff I'm sure..... :lol:

So what's she worth?

Edit:  Oh yeah, $1000 worth of brand new valves. :evil:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Fix the head gasket and It's a 2500 to 3 k machine if'n it has a decent chain and some tire left on it ! :BangHead

JetdocX

I think the parts are worth more than the bike is.  I wonder... :lol:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

EBAY !

Would be a shame though ! The number of Tigers that came to the US in 95 -98 were not that great  .

In 1995 there were supposedly only 125 bikes (Tigers) imported
don't know #'s for 96 or 97
98's were only in the 500 unit range

The two 98's I have that came from seperate parts of the country only differ in VIN# by 100 .

Dr. Mordo

I will certainly be interested in the shock, and quite possibly in the starter/alternator if the price is right.  I also need the screw that holds the knob to the speedo (yes, it's true), and possibly your mirrors.  

I need other stuff too.  If you are serious, I'll PM you with a list and you can give me a price.

I wish I had the money, I'd make you an offer for the whole thing!
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Well, I spent some more quality time going through the inards of the poorly-running Steamer.

I'm getting so good at taking it apart... :roll:

My performance issues are not related to the slight head gasket leak.  It was something completely different...anyone here surprised that there could be more than one thing wrong with my bike???? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I removed all the plastic, and panels and airbox and carbs.  Removed and replaced the plugs because they are cheap and I was in the 'hood.  Inspected the insides of the airboxes for stray rags.  Drained the carb bowls and blew air throught the fuel line and eventually into the float bowls to clear any stray debris.  I did find a bit of shit (technical terminology, folks) in the finger screen (are they kidding?).  I removed that underengineered POS and put a metal fuel fiter inline.

I also ohmed out the new nology coils for grins.  Ohmed out the new plug wires for grins.  I was able to tighten the cheesy spade connectors that power the coils.

Put it all back together and the problem was gone.  So the problem may have been fuel delivery interrruption from POS non-filtration of fuel.  Or it may have been an intermittant spark plug, or loose conection on a coil.  Or it may have been something completely different that I happenned to fix purely by accident.  Can't wait 'till next time. :roll:

I need another bike that I can use as a daily rider.  The Steamer clearly isn't up to the task.
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

So does this mean I can't buy your shock for cheap?

This is interesting.  Like I said, I've had similar problems all along.  Many things have helped, but none have cured it.  I ordered a P/U coil and a Factory Pro Carb kit, so I'm gonna go back thru and see if I can pin it down.

I hope you got it, my friend.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

It only means that I'm probably going to put a few more miles on the shock.  Sorry, bro.

My local dealer even HAD a head gasket kit in stock!  I almost swooned.

Didn't change it yet because I'm going to mill the head a bit when I get around to pulling it off.

If I were you, I'd be going reallly slow and taking my time to check EVERYTHING.  Too much machinery here, IMO.  My next bike is going to be fuel injected for sure.  Have you replaced the finger strainer with a quality in line automotive filter yet?  That thing by itself gives me the ability to sleep at night knowing all manner of fuel tank crap is not going into the jets to cause problems.

You must be getting real fast at pulling EVERYFUCKINGTHING off to get to the carbs by now. :lol:  :lol:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

Dude, no kidding I have got the disassembly down to a science.  I will say that my '99 F650 is not much better, and the carbs are actually much harder to fight out.  Like 'tear the shit out the intake rubbers' hard.

Yeah, early on I took the finger filter out and just have a normal inline filter.  I am increasingly convinced that it is my P/U coil.  It seems like it is too intermittent to be a carb problem.  The bike will be running perfectly, and then start missing and stuttering when I accelerate.  It also seems like it gets worse when it sits for a couple of days.  That said, it is also still running rich, so I'm sure the new needle jets will help.  I also got new diaphragms on the way to be sure they aren't the problem.  Like you said, I'm throwing parts at the bike.

I hope your bike treats you well for awhile.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Ya ever get the feeling like you me and Mustang are the only guys having problems with their Steamers?  Not fair, dammit! :evil:

Edit:  Or we have the only running ones still in the US.  That seems more plausible to me. :lol:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

Yeah, we certainly have a tight knit community of broken bike owners.  

Abruzzi has the DAR on his new bike so he's part of the club, too.

We really should think about meeting up sometime and having some beers.  Of course the problem is that we are all across the country from each other.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Ya ever get the feeling like you me and Mustang are the only guys having problems with their Steamers?  Not fair, dammit! :evil:

Edit:  Or we have the only running ones still in the US.  That seems more plausible to me. :lol:

butt mine run good ! :shock:
no misfires just plain ol pull your arm out giddy up , We did buy them brand new though and have kept them 110% mechanically sound .
Helps that I am a mechanic tech. Never been to the dealer /stealer for anything other than parts .
You guys inherited someone else's nightmare and are now just getting them sorted , I salute you  :icon_salut
you'll get there
they really are a very simple machine .

You should see the machines I used to work on for a living , they make the steamer look like child's play.

great big CNC lathes ,with shitloads of saftey equipment thats always in the way and needs removing . 8 hours of BS to get to the broke part which only took ten minutes to fix

steammoto

the steamer simple requires routine maintenance. check tire pressure,  check coolant and oil levels....drop engine and crack case  :roll:
1995 Steamer Diablo

JetdocX

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
From parts unknown.