News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Talk me down, man....

Started by JetdocX, August 22, 2008, 04:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"Abruzzi has the DAR on his new bike so he's part of the club, too.

I'm not sure yet if that is the case.  I need to make a recording, and post it here.  There are very few Triumph owners around here, especially for the older carbed triples, so I have little to compare it to.

Speaking of DAR, has anyone found a good page that describes it, both diagnosis and repair if possible?  Is this a tiger thing, or do all of the bike from this era suffer from it?

Geof

Mustang

if it sounds like a can of rocks being shaken and goes away at oh say 3000 rpm you have a sheared bolt either on the alternator itself (easy fix and can be found by just pulling the alternator off and looking) or it could be a sheared bolt on the clutch side (not so easy a fix but doable )

mcd

Quote from: "JetdocX"Ya ever get the feeling like you me and Mustang are the only guys having problems with their Steamers?  Not fair, dammit! :evil:

Edit:  Or we have the only running ones still in the US.  That seems more plausible to me. :lol:

I, too, have one that's being a pisshead.  A '95 that misses when it warms up.  It's not a fuel issue...   It's been covered in another thread by another owner.  I replaced the pickup coil and it runs better, until it gets warm enuff and it starts to miss.  But it doesn't die like it did before!  Coils next.  The thought of a bad igniter .... shit.

JetdocX

You're like right over the hill from me, valley dood! :lol:

I ride through your hood all the time.
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

MCD, I don't know how expert you are at moto-repair, so I'll type out the interesting things from my Factory Pro Carbtuning instructions.

"A rich problem gets worse as the engine heats up.  If the throttle is slightly 'blipped' at idle, and the RPMs drop below the set idle speed, then rises up to idle speed, the low speed mixture screws are probably set too rich: try 1/2 turn in to lean the mixture."

Also:
"A bike that runs cleanly at small throttle openings when cold, but starts to show signs of richness as it heats up to full operating temp will usually be leaned out enough to correct is the fuel level is lowered 1mm."

Finally:
"If there are low-end richness problems even after lowering the fuel level much more than 1.5mm from our initial settings (15mm), check for needle wear and needle jet wear."

I found this all pretty interesting, as I didn't know that carb problems are affected by the engine temp.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

mcd

I've had this thing for a couple years now and this is the first it's given any trouble.   Took it to Utah in June, then a couple weeks later it hauled my fat ass to Fortuna.  On the return from that trip is when it started acting up.  While riding thru Oroville the thing just quit.  After a couple minutes it fired up, ran fine, and off I went.  About 5 miles later it did it again.  It did this a total of five times over 25 miles, with the last one just as I pulled into my shop.  That's when I started looking and found this site and found that others were experiencing like behavior from their rides.  And yes, I'm pretty good at working on motors, etc., but won't call myself a factory tuner!  Thanks for the advice, tho.

mcd

Quote from: "JetdocX"You're like right over the hill from me, valley dood! :lol:

Did you ride down 49 a couple weeks ago?  Was sitting at Bassets(?) slurping a Pepsoline and a Steamer went by!

Mustang

Quote from: "mcd"While riding thru Oroville the thing just quit.  After a couple minutes it fired up, ran fine, and off I went.  About 5 miles later it did it again.  It did this a total of five times over 25 miles, with the last one just as I pulled into my shop.  .

That my friend is the classic symptoms of ignition pick-up failure .
The sensor is on the right hand side of crankshaft , and for 70 bucks from bike bandit will cure that problem .
If you are experiencing any other probs after the new sensor is put on , RESIST the urge to tear into the carbs and just buy a set of three nology coils and life will be good again .

mcd

I just replaced the pickup.  It runs great until it warms up, then it starts to miss.  I haven't been able to get it to quit like it did before, tho, because I'm riding near the abode and limp it in before I get stranded.  It feels like one cylinder going down, irrespective of load, rpm, choke.  

I don't mean to steal this thread, but I can relate to the feeling of what to do with this thing....throw more money at it when it's only worth $2K!?

mcd

Quote from: "mcd"I just replaced the pickup.  It runs great until it warms up, then it starts to miss.  I haven't been able to get it to quit like it did before, tho, because I'm riding near the abode and limp it in before I get stranded.  It feels like one cylinder going down, irrespective of load, rpm, choke.  

I don't mean to steal this thread, but I can relate to the feeling of what to do with this thing....throw more money at it when it's only worth $2K!?

The plan is just like you say-- replace the coils.  Going to try to locate some nology units today.

Mustang

Quote from: "mcd"
Quote from: "mcd"I just replaced the pickup.  It runs great until it warms up, then it starts to miss.  I haven't been able to get it to quit like it did before, tho, because I'm riding near the abode and limp it in before I get stranded.  It feels like one cylinder going down, irrespective of load, rpm, choke.  

The plan is just like you say-- replace the coils.  Going to try to locate some nology units today.

Here's where I got mine , cheaper than OEM's by about 200 bucks  :shock:
http://www.nologyhotwires.com/

mcd

Dr. Mordo

So when you say it's missing, is it dying every time?
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Quote from: "mcd"
Quote from: "JetdocX"You're like right over the hill from me, valley dood! :lol:

Did you ride down 49 a couple weeks ago?  Was sitting at Bassets(?) slurping a Pepsoline and a Steamer went by!

I ride 49 quite often.  Could have been me.  Mine's Green.

On your missing problem it may help to just replace the plugs while you have the tank off.  It may have something to do with your problem.
From parts unknown.

mcd

Dr Mordo - It hasn't died since I installed the new pickup coil.  Once warm it misses, feels like one cylinder.  A few months back it felt the same, and I figured it was electric as opposed to fuel because of the way it acted, that being rpm and load independent, and no difference with the choke on or off  (operating temp).  I limped it home and pulled the tank and found the center sparkplug galley had oil in it which had leaked past the valve cover gasket, causing it to short to the head.  Cleaned it out and presto!  Hopped back on and rode the thing for 10 days on a trip with no problems.  Having said all that, here recently, after replacing the pickup coil,  it runs smooth until warm, then starts to miss on what feels like one cylinder.  This leads me to believe it's a bad coil, especially after reading other threads on this site citing similar issues and personal  past experiences with other machines.

The thing has about 35K on it.

Jetdocx - It was green with stock pipes, so it was probably you.

Mustang - I ordered some coils last night. Thanks again.