News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Vacuum hose?

Started by Jon KB, March 10, 2009, 07:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon KB

No shop manual yet.
First exploration of my new to me 2000 Tiger.
Removed Fuel tank.
Flushed and refilled radiator ( needed it bad)
Installed missing horn.
Reviewed wiring for possible changes.

Found hose coming off of left side of fuel tank near fuel hoses, approx 3/16th I.D. and 4 inches in length.
Ragged end possibly indicating missing additional length.
Looks like a vacuum hose.
Can't find anything to connect it to.
Anyone know what it is and if it needs to be connected to anything?
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time
mailto:ttigerfoot@gmail.com\">ttigerfoot@gmail.com

John Stenhouse

Could be the cap drain hose?

Two hoses fit onto that side of the tank, one drains any water that gets in around the edge of the fuel cap, the other is a breather I think. They both drain to the floor near the pegs. If it's only 4" long it's been cut.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Jon KB

I found these photos on another post.
The hose I'm questioning is the thin one above the fuel lines.

Too many hobbies,
Not enough time

walker

that's a sharp lookin set of fittings!  :wink:  Previous owner or some service tech marked the return fitting with that big arrow. Not sure why.... anyway...

That hose crosses to the right side of the bike, and attaches to the bottom of the back of the airbox.... I think that's a vacuum controlled pressure regulator (885 injection thing - the 955's don't have them?). If you remove the right plastic panel at the fuel tank, you'll see the connection pointing down from the airbox - JUST in front of the LARGE drain tube at the right rear corner of the airbox... there are 3 things that plug into the airbox there - the drain tube, this regulator hose, and the barometric sensor hose with the funny white fitting on the end.

The hose pictured there looks fine, but on the other end had split on mine (the hose you see in that picture - is the same one that split - one side was good as new, the other was pretty bad).

Bikebandit lists it on the airbox microfiche page...

10: PIPE 5x8x430  5576962-001  $7.86
SERIAL NUMBER 160455 AND BELOW

A bit expensive for a small vacuum tube. I think the numbers are inner_diameter x outer_diameter x length... so a 5mm or 3/16 inner diameter vacuum line should work. About 17 inches long.

John Stenhouse

Yep, as Walker said that is a vacuum hose. Sorry my post was complete rubbish for that.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bruincounselor

I pretty sure the hose is not important. If it wasn't 0 degrees with a 40mph wind (and snowing another f'n 10+ inches) I'd wander to the garage to check on my Lightning Yellow Tiger. I don't recall ever hooking up that hose. The way things are going around here I'd get lost on the way to the garage.

Lightning is fast. 8)
Bruin\'

Stretch

I can't help.  My '05 is completely different from that.

walker

reading lots of posts on triumphrat (sprint forums mostly) - looks like triumph kept the design for some 955 models, but quit connecting them.

Since all it does is hook to the airbox - the most popular idea seems to be that it is a safety vent just in case the pump / regulator have a problem.... in the event it briefly opens - the little bit of fuel (or fuel vapor) that escapes is drawn back into the motor.... so it's emissions related.

Connecting / disconnecting doesn't seem to do anything. Many bikes came new with it never even there. Some had different airboxes that did not have a connection to connect the hose up!

If you're bored - search at triumphrat for fuel pressure regulator.

According to all the posts - leave it off if you like, replace it if it makes you feel good (I replaced mine - because at the time I didn't read the posts - and vacuum line is cheap).

Jon KB

Evan with all your help and very specific directions it took me a while to find it, thanks!

I think I need to hire a couple of one inch tall mythical critters to act as my assistants, there is not a lot of space for my fingers in and about this motor.

Thanks again I really hate to button up the bike knowing that there are broken parts still needing attention in there.

I need to get a 2000 shop manual and parts breakdown, preferably e-copies so I can print out pages as I need them.
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Jon KB"I need to get a 2000 shop manual and parts breakdown, preferably e-copies so I can print out pages as I need them.

bikebandit.com has the parts fiche online for our bikes. This site is better than a manual (the voices of experience...). Having said that several of us have the manual and will look up anything you need.

Happy wrenching!
Bruin\'