News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Buy engine in the UK or else and ship to Norway

Started by Rocinante, April 07, 2010, 03:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocinante

As some may have read in another thread, I´m looking for a used engine for my Steamer, to replace the old one sometime this year. The marked is fairly small in Norway, and given our strong currency it might be a good idea to find one abroad.

So, anyone in the UK who can point me to a place or person who has a low milage 885 carbed engine sitting around and up for grabs?

Shipping and all that is another question of cause.

Here´s a list I found:
http://www.cheshiremotorcyclesalvage.com/acatalog/Online_Catlog_ENGINES_52.html

On that list there´s a 1995 Tiger engine with 21000 miles for 395 GBP.  They say it´s a good runner and the only damage is a holed clutch cover. Should I worry?

That is an amazing price and I could spend the same in shipping and add local VAT and still it´s cheaper than comparable engines in Norway and Sweden (not found any that fits mine though).

Anyone living close to or in Chesire? Eh, anyone going to Norway by car this summer?:)

Any other help is appreciated.

Dag
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Mustang

Dag
that 900 trident motor will bolt right into the tiger also  !

Rocinante

Quote from: "Mustang"Dag

Ah right. Good, more choice.

I have sent them a mail asking for pictures and more info. Anything I should be aware of? Is it a drawback that they are older in age, being 94 and 95 models?
www.dagjen.no

Mustang

Quote from: "Rocinante"
Quote from: "Mustang"Dag

Ah right. Good, more choice.

I have sent them a mail asking for pictures and more info. Anything I should be aware of? Is it a drawback that they are older in age, being 94 and 95 models?
depends on what kind of life it lead .....

the wifes 95 tiger has 50 k on it for miles and has had only 3 valves ever shimmed........ at the last check a month ago they are still in spec ,and the smallest shim in it is a 2.65 .
she is a easy going rider but does do some long distance rides keeping up with me on the interstate now and then at 85 mph for entire days .

some motors were good some were bad    it's the  luck of the draw

I do agree with the 98 heads being soft though cuz mine is about done also on the #1 intakes and JD wasted his head and yours is toast for the second time ....... the common theme is they are all 98's

Timbox2

You could try talking to these guys, there about 20 mins down the road from me, they are always breaking bikes and building specials

http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/
2016 Tiger Sport

Rocinante

Quote from: "Timbox2"You could try talking to these guys, there about 20 mins down the road from me, they are always breaking bikes and building specials

http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/

Excellent. I sent them a mail this morning and they were quick to come back to me. Yes they have engines for the Tiger and yes they ship to Norway. They have 3 months guarantee and all engines are in some way reconditioned.

I am waiting for prices and a list of engines.

I fear the price though. We´ll see.

If they come up with a couple of good candidates, would it be possible for you to drop by and have a look at them at some stage, just surface scan and by no means take any responsibility in the decision making of course? If they volunteer to start them up that´s even better. It sort of gives me some leverage as well in dealing with them, when they realize it´s a web community out there watching...:twisted:

Edit:
They came back to me just when I hit the submit button here.

The engines are rebuilt to order and takes six weeks. I´ll cut and paste the list of what they do here:
ALL ENGINES ARE REBUILT WITH NEW:-

MAIN BEARINGS
BIG END BEARINGS
NEW STEM SEALS & RE-SEATED VALVES
ALL NEW OUTER GASKETS & SEALS
CAM CHAIN
ALL SHIMS ARE DONE READY TO FIT

Price is 1000 GBP plus 180 GBP in shipping. Legally I have to pay VAT in Norway on top of both which makes the final total of 1470 GBP.

It´s quite expensive but if it is like buying a new engine, I´m tempted.

Opinions?

Dag
Dag
www.dagjen.no

ArcticTiger

It seems like a trip to Wales might be a good idea, and have them install the new engine. Then you save the shipping cost and import taxes to Norway, and get a trip to Wales as a "bonus" :D
The £ to NOK exchange rate is good now too...
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

Rocinante

Quote from: "ArcticTiger"It seems like a trip to Wales might be a good idea, and have them install the new engine. Then you save the shipping cost and import taxes to Norway, and get a trip to Wales as a "bonus" :D
The £ to NOK exchange rate is good now too...

Ah, of course. They are the same guys you mentioned in another thread. I missed that.

Yes, a trip to Wales would be nice. It would save me a little under 500 GBP (shipping and VAT), which I could use for travelling to and from.

The more I think of it the more economically it seems. Even with shipping and VAT it's less than twice as much as servicing the head here in Norway.
www.dagjen.no

BruKen

Quote from: "Rocinante"Here´s a list I found:

Anyone living close to or in Chesire?
Dag

They are about a half hour from me but they will ship it too you direct as well. Email them for cost.

Rocinante

Quote from: "BruKen"
Quote from: "Rocinante"Here´s a list I found:

Anyone living close to or in Chesire?
Dag

They are about a half hour from me but they will ship it too you direct as well. Email them for cost.

I did a few days ago, but haven´t heard from them yet.

It´s quite a lot cheaper to buy a 21000 miles engine from them than the other option. However they give only one week guarantee on it, as opposed to 3 months at Triumph-Ant.

But then it´s 395 versus 1000 GBP. Hmmm?
www.dagjen.no

Nick Calne

Just a thought, for 1000 - 1500 quid you could get a WHOLE bike on ebay and therefore have an engine and every other spare too.  You could ride it back and not road register in Norway it saving on any taxes....then use the parts as and when you need them.

How 'bout this.... think the seller is a little confused about dates however...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TIGER-900-BLACK-2000-FANTASTIC-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ160420813936QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycles?hash=item2559d35c70

There are also lots of suitable engines on ebay too.  :wink:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Rocinante

Quote from: "nickcalne"Just a thought, for 1000 - 1500 quid you could get a WHOLE bike on ebay...

It has crossed my mind and I´ve looked at the few prospects I´ve found. The one you point to with the somewhat optimistic model year has a milage which is too high though. Otherwise it could be interesting.

On the other hand, I did a search on Triumph Tiger on http://www.ebay.co.uk, and almost every part I could think of was there. And it wasn´t expensive either.
www.dagjen.no

rf9rider

MIleage too high?

Says its done just less than 6000?

Rocinante

Quote from: "rf9rider"MIleage too high?

Says its done just less than 6000?

Ups, my error. I read 60 000 not 6 000.

Then it looks like a fantastic deal, although 1500 GBP is only the starting bid. It sure is worth a lot more even in the UK, isn´t it?

In Norway that would be worth I guess between 5 and 7 000 GBP... Say no more.
www.dagjen.no

rybes

i know its not norway but iull be movin to denmark this yewar sometime. if that can make postage cheaper for ya ill be glad to help :D as for sourcin an engine id say triumphant http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)