News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wheels

Started by GavD, July 02, 2010, 04:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtheTiger

QuoteI've worked out that the brackets need to be 10mm thick as the distance between the outside faces of the brake discs is 20mm less on the new wheel than the originals. i.e. 10mm either side.
I don't know if this is the case for the wheels you are using.

Don't know yet...I'll measure this also and the diameter of the discs.
You're using another fork though aren't you ?  Mine is standard Tigger with 143 mm axle space between forklegs.
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

mine are made of 1/4 inch thick (6.5 mm) 7075 aluminum alloy .
puts the calipers right where you want them with tiger forks and the rotors inverted on the trophy wheel .

MtheTiger

Quotemine are made of 1/4 inch thick (6.5 mm) 7075 aluminum alloy

Are the holes on the forkside threaded and if so will this hold with this thickness/thinness  :?:

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

yes threaded forkside holes and you need to use m10 x 1.25 to insure enough threads are in in the plate , you also have to use short enough bolts that they dont protrude thru enough to interfere with the rotors

I used an alloy of 7075 aluminum it is expensive but strong , it has a higher tensile strength than steel

GavD

I'm using standard Tiger Forks and yokes, so I also have 143mm between the fork legs.

Mustang - any chance you can measure the distance between the outside faces of the rotors to confirm that yours are set slightly wider than mine using the 6 spoke wheels?
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Mustang

Quote from: "GavD"I'm using standard Tiger Forks and yokes, so I also have 143mm between the fork legs.

Mustang - any chance you can measure the distance between the outside faces of the rotors to confirm that yours are set slightly wider than mine using the 6 spoke wheels?
with the trophy wheel and brake rotors you need to mount the rotors ass backwards to allow for clearance for the plates to adapt the steamer calipers for use on the trophy rotors

the distance on the trophy rotors from outside face to outside face is 107.315mm when the rotors are mounted backwards on the wheel

a stock tiger wheel the rotors are 127.762 mm outside to outside

give or take on the dims depending on wear and / or different manufactuers

MtheTiger

Quoteyes threaded forkside holes and you need to use m10 x 1.25 to insure enough threads are in in the plate , you also have to use short enough bolts that they dont protrude thru enough to interfere with the rotors

Thx for that 'Stang and what kind of material can safely be used for the bolts to make sure that they're strong/hard enough AND don't react with the aluminium alloy ?  The forces on these bolts are enormous, and
Stainless & Aluminium is NOT a good combination 'cause it will make the aluminium corrode; not only that but stainless is too brittle.
And coppergrease (which is also a nogo with aluminium) or any other antiseizing/anti corroding compound like molycote or silvergrease or the stuff that is used in planes cannot be used here.
I guess loctite blue is needed here?

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

Actually I am using stainless steel allen head cap screws ........the alloy I used for the plates has very good corrosion resistance .
The stock bolts for the OEM brake caliper is whats holing the plates to the fork legs , the stainles bolts pass thru the un threaded hole in the plates and screw into the calipers  :wink:

so after looking at the bike you need to thread the plates with whatever the stock bolts are  m10 x ?????? i can't remember but I am pretty sure they were 1.25 thread pitch and the new bolts you are going to use to hold the calipers on have to be what the OEM threaded hole in the calipers is , again I think it was M10 x 1.25

MtheTiger

M10x1.25 souns good to me.......

Do you use blue loctite on these bolts?

97 Caspian blue

MtheTiger

QuoteI've worked out that the brackets need to be 10mm thick as the distance between the outside faces of the brake discs is 20mm less on the new wheel than the originals. i.e. 10mm either side.

Today I measured between the outside faces of the discs:
Tigger  127.3 mm
Sprint   108.5 mm

That's indeed about 20 mm less on the new wheel. So I guess I'll have to use 10 mm thick material to make the brackets.

Mustang used only 6.5 mm thick alloy. Wouldn't this interfere with free travel either way that the calipers need on their ride pins?

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

Quote from: "MtheTiger"

Today I measured between the outside faces of the discs:
Tigger  127.3 mm
Sprint   108.5 mm

That's indeed about 20 mm less on the new wheel. So I guess I'll have to use 10 mm thick material to make the brackets.

Mustang used only 6.5 mm thick alloy. Wouldn't this interfere with free travel either way that the calipers need on their ride pins?
you are not going to clear the bolt heads on the rotors if you use 10mm plate,
if it does it won't be by much !

MtheTiger

OK, didn't think about that...I'll check it out.

97 Caspian blue

GavD

I've made up a wooden 10mm thick template that is shaped on the side where they mount onto the fork legs so that the sweeping arc of the rotor bolts doesn't touch the brackets.  Then the calipers are in the right position to slide on the bracket.
I'll post a couple of photos when i get the chance.

GavD

M,
Here are the photos of my wooden template (that broke on one end).

You can see in the photo where it is mounted on the fork that the rotor bolt is just visible between the bracket and the fork leg. It just misses the bracket as the wheel rotates.

There is also a photo of the cardboard template that is the final version. I'll be getting the brackets made up to that shape then carry out the drilling myself.

MtheTiger

97 Caspian blue