News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wheels

Started by GavD, July 02, 2010, 04:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Hey all,

i've been considering changing the wheels on my '98. I've seen that a few people have changed to the Trophy style 3 spoke ones. These seem very hard to get hold of. I know there is a bit of work involved with the front conversion.

Does anyone know if the Sprint/Trident 6 spoke style wheels are suitable in the same way.

ta
Gav
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

NeilD

hi.. been thinking about the same myself... although havent got past the 'thinking' stage yet!!! apparently the earlier '6 spoke' rear goes in the same as the later one, although its an 18" so maybe need to think about gearing/rideheight ?? theres a couple of ways of making the front fit...
 RF9rider who posts on here has had some discussion with Sandy at Triumphant about this conversion, hiopefully he'll chip in once he's back from his hols!  :D

GavD

Do you know if you can re-use the Tiger sprocket carrier and rubbers? What about the spindle & spacers.

Gav

MtheTiger

yeah, that's possible also.
These wheels come cheaper than the Trophy one (but I find them not as gooda looking though).
Check this link....this German dude has done this mod.
And while you're there, checkout how Kevin Carmichael does some stuntwork on the dude's Tigger...SOUND ON FOR the BOS RACECANS !!

Grtz

M

http://www.tigerritchie.de/newchurchride
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

B.Curvin

I've got a spare set of complete SV wheels. Before even seeing this thread I

did a quick measure of the distance between the front rotors last night.

There's an 1/8 inch difference total (so 1/16 per side) so I think the front swap

at least would be pretty easy. I'm going to do some more measuring on the front and rear tomorrow.

Complete used SV wheels can be had pretty cheap. I'll post my findings.

rf9rider

Back from my hols....... :cry:

Rear six spoke wheel is 18 inch diameter compared to 17 inch three spoke Trophy wheels, rear spindle is same size, and the sprocket carriers are different, so you`ll need the six spoke carrier and spacers.

I`ve got a pair of six spoke wheels, just awaiting a few more parts before i can start the conversion on mine.

Front wheel is same dimensions, so you can do the Mustang job of spacers etc the same.

GavD

So if I've read this right, to do a rear conversion I'll need wheel, disc, sprocket carrier, rubbers and spacers. Will the original sprocket fit on the new carrier? although I'll prob fit a smaller one anyway due to the bigger wheel.

And on the front it'll be wheel, discs, spacers, speedo drive & fabricated caliper brackets. Anything else?

rf9rider

Quote from: "GavD"So if I've read this right, to do a rear conversion I'll need wheel, disc, sprocket carrier, rubbers and spacers. Will the original sprocket fit on the new carrier? although I'll prob fit a smaller one anyway due to the bigger wheel.

And on the front it'll be wheel, discs, spacers, speedo drive & fabricated caliper brackets. Anything else?

According to my research on it, all that looks correct, although the rear discs are the same size on most of the older Triumphs.
Not sure on the sprocket, as i`ll be changing size/ratio on mine.

As for the front, look through Mustangs post, as i`m going a different route, using Trophy fork bottoms and Tiger stantions.

Mustang

Quote from: "rf9rider"According to my research on it, all that looks correct, although the rear discs are the same size on most of the older Triumphs.

As for the front, look through Mustangs post, as i`m going a different route, using Trophy fork bottoms and Tiger stantions.
the tiger rear rotor is smaller than the rest and WILL NOT bolt onto a trophy rim or sprint rim

rf9rider

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "rf9rider"According to my research on it, all that looks correct, although the rear discs are the same size on most of the older Triumphs.

the tiger rear rotor is smaller than the rest and WILL NOT bolt onto a trophy rim or sprint rim

My mistake, i meant to say most of the older Triumph rear discs that use the cast wheels  are the same size apart from the Tiger.  :oops:

qbto

Quote from: "rf9rider"Back from my hols....... :cry:

Rear six spoke wheel is 18 inch diameter compared to 17 inch three spoke Trophy wheels, rear spindle is same size, and the sprocket carriers are different, so you`ll need the six spoke carrier and spacers.

Do you mean the Tiger sprocket carriers different ?

Because I've a pair of 6 spoke wheels that came off my Trophy I replaced them with later 3 spoke's and every thing disc's/carrier etc swapped straight over.

rf9rider

Quote from: "qbto"
Quote from: "rf9rider"Back from my hols....... :cry:

Do you mean the Tiger sprocket carriers different ?

Because I've a pair of 6 spoke wheels that came off my Trophy I replaced them with later 3 spoke's and every thing disc's/carrier etc swapped straight over.

The original Tiger spoked wheel sprocket carrier is different to the 3 or 6 spoke cast wheels and won`t fit.

Mustang

Quote from: "rf9rider"The original Tiger spoked wheel sprocket carrier is different to the 3 or 6 spoke cast wheels and won`t fit.

no it's not .........this is a tiger spoked wheel sprocket carrier in a trophy three spoke wheel , plug and play they are exactly the same even the internal bushing is the same .
a tiger rotor won't fit the trophy wheel though

rf9rider

Once again it seems i`m wrong.  :oops:

It seems the "expert" on all things Triumph isn`t quite the expert they think they are.  :lol:

Think i`ll do a little research for myself in future and not be so trusting.  :D