News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hi ..newby..well old git really!!

Started by Reubodad, July 18, 2010, 01:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reubodad

Hi, I am returning to biking after a too long a gap and am looking at getting a Tiger 955i.........and am after some advice..

I have been offered a 2001 bike with 40,000 miles on it for just under £2000, it has a few scratches and marks on it and want to know what I should be looking for as regards faults, 'odd'noises,...is the mileage too high?...what sort of life can I expect from the motor?..any possible electrical problems?...any problem bearings?....what options are there on aftermarket panniers and topbox as there are none on the bike...
Anything in particular I should  be looking for on a test ride?

I look forward to any advice...cheers..

My other option is a really low mileage 955i, but is more than twicw the price....and yes I know you do get what you pay for!!!....it may be the better option as I intend to keep it for a while.... :)

Cant wait till I get back in the saddle again!

John Stenhouse

Welcome to the board! To answer one of your queries, well partly anyway. Triumph panniers and top box for the 955 have been deleted from the parts list so are no longer available new, aftermarket one are another question, though the bike was never popular with the aftermarket brigade so the fitments seem to be rare. I'm sure they are about it's just a question of looking for them.
Mileage doesn't seem to be a problem but I would buy on condition rather than mileage.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

KuzzinKenny

Hey Reubodad !! My advice would be, buy as new as you can afford !! if you want to go off road with the Tigger, get a wire wheel model ( 04 and before ) if its for road and the odd bit of dirt get the newer alloy wheeled Tigger ( 04 and beyond ) well up to 06 when they stopped makin them :(

i see yer usin the £ sign so yer in the UK  :thumbsup  it helps to fill in yer profile a bit more !!

enjoy the site and keep us up to date on yer choice !!

have fun !!

KK

ps the newer Tiggers came with sideboxes and fittings !!
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

BigMark

If it looks clean buy it...

Short of changing pads every 10k and your chain every 30k, not much goes wrong on a regular enough basis to warrant concern.

Reubodad

Thanks for the welcome and replies......
The 40,000 miler has recently had new chain and sprockets,and I am going to roadtest it very soon....It is very clean, and has lots of history with it as well......and may just be what I need to get back on the road again.....then get a newer in a few years....It is going to be used on the road only.....any recommendations on tyres as they do look worn,but still legal...
Will let you know how I get on!....
Gonna take the newer one out as well I think to see the difference!!...

Profile updated kuzzinKenny!!.....

Timbox2

Quote from: "Reubodad"Thanks for the welcome and replies......
The 40,000 miler has recently had new chain and sprockets,and I am going to roadtest it very soon....It is very clean, and has lots of history with it as well......and may just be what I need to get back on the road again.....then get a newer in a few years....It is going to be used on the road only.....any recommendations on tyres as they do look worn,but still legal...
Will let you know how I get on!....
Gonna take the newer one out as well I think to see the difference!!...

Profile updated kuzzinKenny!!.....

Hi mate, welcome
as regards tyres, M & P in swansea are doing pairs of Conti Trail Attacks for £150, they are almost a full road tyre but a bit off road looking, good if you never intend riding even gravel, though Ive a question mark over life, I only got 6k miles out of the pair, which at first I didnt think too bad, but going on the mileage others get seemed disappointing, then again I am heavy on the brakes and squirting it out of bends.

Ive just put a pair of the metzler tourances on ( £170 pair from M&P) and although not quite as quick to change direction etc, feel a lot more planted especially in the wet, and feel a bit better on the gravel etc, though Im not one of the loons that off road these things, like offroading a Thames Barge in my opinion :lol:

Theres not really a bad tyre out there these days
2016 Tiger Sport

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Reubodad"Profile updated KuzzinKenny!!.....

:thumbsup

so, what was yer last bike ??

KK

ps Tyres !! its a couple of years old but still good info......

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... ner_en.pdf
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Sin_Tiger

Welcome. don't worry, you won't be stealing many lollipops around here  :wink:

Same myself, near 30 yr absence, then I bought a Varadero  :roll: luckily I came to senses after that  :D

That might might make an interesting thread in itself, my last bike before I got back into it again was an Ariel Sq4  :shock:  

Looks like you've had beginers luck, at 40k they just seem to be getting comfy.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Reubodad

Kuzzin Kenny...
last bike I had was a Yam XT350.......over 20 yrs ago.......

Timbox....
tHanks for the M&P tip...I have been in there a few times prices look good...mind the sizing on the jackets is somewhat......interesting!!
Good Cafe there too...

Will keep you informed how the test goes tomorrow!!!.....

Timbox2

Quote from: "Reubodad"Kuzzin Kenny...

Timbox....
tHanks for the M&P tip...I have been in there a few times prices look good...mind the sizing on the jackets is somewhat......interesting!!
Good Cafe there too...

Will keep you informed how the test goes tomorrow!!!.....

Pleasure, Im down your way tomorrow, got a job to do at the Signals place at Brawdy, looking at the weather will probably be in the car though, Im such a pussy these days :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Reubodad

Dont blame you its pi**ing down here at the moment............Assuming you are going through Haverfordwest, you will be going over (round!)the roundabout at the bottom of my road!!....Have a good trip and look forward to meeting you on a ride out sometime!!....  :)

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Reubodad"Kuzzin Kenny...

:shock:  your in for a treat !! the Tigger can be a very placid beast in low revs !! and a real beast in high revs  :D  just take it easy, you`ve got about
100 ponys at the twist of the throttle !!

have fun !!

KK

Reubodad

Took it out for a run....Loved it :) ..Have I bought it?.....no!!

The Tiger has got a problem and the seller does not know what the cause of the problem is...
It will not  idle...it will start and run if the throttle is held open slightly...but will not idle at all......Is it a simple solution?

I am sure someone must have had this problem, and is the only reason I have not bought the thing....yet!!

So am off to search the forum for a solution!!

Cant wait to get one!!

Reubodad

Well I am now waiting for the chap to get back to me with an answer as to wether the bike is fixed or fixable or not.......
In the mean time I  am looking out for another one, but have had  my budget capped by the Mrs...!!...again!!

Reubodad

WELL..I got my Tigger at last....2001 Roulette green...Lovely to ride....am very pleased with her... :lol:  will post pics when I get them done...