News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Died in motion?!

Started by HeavyHustler, August 11, 2013, 07:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 19, 2013, 11:52:08 AM
Fit a Scottoiler, then you'll have so much oil and crud you won't notice an itty bitty leak  :ImaPoser

Funny thing with all the oil and crud coming from the cover not a single drop has gotten on the chain!  :icon_rolleyes:

HeavyHustler

Ok.  It's been a while since I posted anything on the Tiger.
So I had the rear shock rebuilt and installed it.  Threw on the center stand.  Powder coated a few bits. 
Swapped in some LED's all around.  Refurbed the carbs, new o-rings etc.
Tried starting it.......a few pops and some smoke.
Except there is lots of air blasting out the back of the carb?  This is the intake side, yes?  So nothing should come out, correct? 
Also when I turn on the aux fuel line gas starts coming out the back of the carb even though I haven't touched the throttle?
Also I don't have all the exhaust or the airbox on either.

The LED's don't all light up either?  I recall someone mentioning they only work one way?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your patience!  :icon_scratch: :icon_study:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: HeavyHustler on October 17, 2013, 03:26:00 AM
Ok.  It's been a while since I posted anything on the Tiger.
So I had the rear shock rebuilt and installed it.  Threw on the center stand.  Powder coated a few bits. 
Swapped in some LED's all around.  Refurbed the carbs, new o-rings etc.
Except there is lots of air blasting out the back of the carb?  This is the intake side, yes?  So nothing should come out, correct? 
Also when I turn on the aux fuel line gas starts coming out the back of the carb even though I haven't touched the throttle?

The LED's don't all light up either?  I recall someone mentioning they only work one way?

Thoughts?

Plug leads in the right order????

Turn the LEDs round half a turn, they should work then.

Fuel coming out of the carbs means the floats are stuck or you forgot to put something back
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

threepot

Fuel coming out of the carbs means the floats are stuck or you forgot to put something back
[/quote]
As BB says,but ,as what happened to me,float assembly dropped down! Maybe you didn't push home correctly? Another carb strip-down :icon_frown:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: HeavyHustler on October 17, 2013, 03:26:00 AM
Refurbed the carbs, new o-rings etc.

Thoughts?

it's flooded causes the pops and smoke ,carbs aint right try again....................

it'll never start or run without the exhaust pipes and airbox in place .............

what the hell is an AUX fuel line ???????????

air coming out the carbs is a good sign you have intakes that are at zero clearance .
Have you checked the valves for clearance ?

this was an ebay bike wasn't it ? caveat emptor  !

HeavyHustler

Ok.  I'll throw everything back on and I'll pull the carbs and have a look at the floats.   :icon_study:

The aux fuel line is one of those Motion Pro Auxilary fuel tanks.

Did a compression test too- 170/165/170  :thumbsup

Bike is from ADV rider....... :icon_rolleyes:

HeavyHustler

Cam chain tensioner is busted up.  Found it when checking the valves this morning.........  :(

Mustang

that would explain the air pressure back thru the carbs .....
one or both cams have jumped teeth on the sprocket and your valve timing is out of whack .
also explains why it won't start or run .
you still need to fix the carbs though ....... :thumbsup

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Mustang on October 17, 2013, 07:09:05 PM
that would explain the air pressure back thru the carbs .....
one or both cams have jumped teeth on the sprocket and your valve timing is out of whack .
also explains why it won't start or run .
you still need to fix the carbs though ....... :thumbsup

OK!  All is not lost.  LOL!  I am learning a truck load already and that's good.  Now for more questions!  :icon_mrgreen:

BB has the cam Chain Rubbing Blade for $30- this is what I can see is broken.  Question is though- do I replace anything else whilst I'm in there?  If all the other parts are ok should I only replace the CC rubbing blade?

The carbs are taking a back seat atm.....  :icon_wink:

Mustang

new chain needed also and new spring for the tensioner assembly

Bixxer Bob

Overstating the obvious but the cam timing needs to be reset while you're on
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HeavyHustler

You bet!  I've ordered all the necessary bits to get her back running.  I'll double check my floats whilst I wait for them to arrive. 

Thanks again gents!

Sin_Tiger

QuoteOK!  All is not lost.  LOL!  I am learning a truck load already and that's good.  Now for more questions!  

Experience is the thing you get just after you really needed it :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 18, 2013, 08:46:43 PM
QuoteOK!  All is not lost.  LOL!  I am learning a truck load already and that's good.  Now for more questions! 

Experience is the thing you get just after you really needed it :thumbsup

So true!  :icon_mrgreen: