News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil burning Pig...

Started by AndyM, December 31, 2009, 07:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyM

I was told today that my Tiger stinks  :cry:  Gal riding behind me said every time I rolled on the throttle it farted a big black cloud of smoke said it was like riding behind an old diesel bus  :shock:

Guess I need to think about fixing it.

Tiger is an 03 with 90k miles on it. I am the second owner. I got it at one year old with 2500 miles on it.
It has always burned oil. Seems to be getting worse.
I've changed the breather seal in the stator cover a couple of times so I don't think that's the issue.

So what do I need to look at? Rings? Pistons? Sleeves? Valves or guides? Something else? I can do the work myself if I can find out what parts need changing.

Thanks,
Andy

EvilBetty

Black smoke?  That's not oil, that's fuel.  Your bike is running way too rich.

Last valve clearance check?

Engine light on?  If you have a failed sensor it could be the cause.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

AndyM

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Black smoke?  That's not oil, that's fuel.  Your bike is running way too rich.

Last valve clearance check?

Engine light on?  If you have a failed sensor it could be the cause.

She said black smoke. I'll have to have someone ride it so I can follow and see for myself. It burns more than one quart of oil per 1000 miles doesn't matter what kind of oil. Tail pipe is very sooty.

It is over due for a valve check. I'll be doing that in the next week or two as soon as the shims I've ordered arrive.

Engine light is not on.

EvilBetty

Mine too is using a similar amount of oil and backing up the inside of the can, but other than that it's fine.  Changed the breather twice now.  No oil in the breather hose anymore, and a little less oil being lost, but still haivng to add after every tank fill.

No puffs of smoke, no one complaining of smells.

diggerT

My 03 uses a similar amount of oil and I too bought it with 2,500 on the clock. My mechanic pal reckons it wasn't run in properly and has glazed bores. There's no simple solution apart from taking the engine apart, re-boring it and running it again but not using fully synthetic oil. Sounds expensive. I reckon it's a lot cheaper to top it up with oil as it's fine apart from that.

My bike does the same black burst of smoke when getting on the gas, as my wife tells me when she's folllowing on her SV650!!

PeteH

[quote="diggerT"My bike does the same black burst of smoke when getting on the gas, as my wife tells me when she's folllowing on her SV650!![/quote]

Looks like you need more smoke or ride a little quicker, then you`le lose her :wink:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Advwannabe

Mine starts using a bit of full synth about halfway into a service cycle, which I've cured by halving my oil change intervals.

The only proviso I'd offer to those with oil burners is that if you leave it too long you risk blow by contaminating your oil and causing a longer and more expensive rebuild in the long run.

But that usually happens when an engine is burning a lot more that yours are!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

AndyM

Fresh oil breather seal.
Fresh Red Line full synth 15-40 oil.
1030 miles in 23 hours.

Burned 1.5 quarts of oil   :(

6k more miles to turn 100k then time for something to replace the Tiger I think.

EvilBetty

I've not even got 30K on mine and it's burning a similar amount of oil.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "diggerT"There's no simple solution apart from taking the engine apart, re-boring it and running it again but not using fully synthetic oil. Sounds expensive. I reckon it's a lot cheaper to top it up with oil as it's fine apart from that.

IF it's just glazed bores then a "simple" honing and change rings should do the job, don't be tempted to keep the original rings. If it is glazed and you keep on the rings will fail prematurely losing their spring.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Advwannabe

Aren't the 955 motors wet linered? If so you don't need to worry about boring, just new liners and piston rings.

However they tell me that the gasket kits and parts are prohibitively expensive.

If my motor gets tired I would consider replacing it with a second hand Sprint motor from a wreck. Plenty around and the going price for  good one comes out cheaper than the parts to fix your motor. Disposable society, sad but true
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Bixxer Bob

I think you're right abut the wet liners, so are they not very easy to hone?

I'm off to get a bolt for my front rotors in aminute, I'll ask about gasket kit prices whilst I'm there.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I think you're right abut the wet liners, so are they not very easy to hone?

I'm off to get a bolt for my front rotors in a minute, I'll ask about gasket kit prices whilst I'm there.

It will cost you $1000 USD to get
3 new cylinder liners
3 new piston and ring sets
a new head gasket
a tube of hylomar (to seal the liners in the block)

that's all you need to completely refresh the motor as long as the head is in good condition

and as long as the bearings are good you can do it all with engine still in frame.....................

Bixxer Bob

For what is basically a new engine that's not a bad price.....

Oh, and I forgot to ask about the gasket kit price :BangHead
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I think you're right abut the wet liners, so are they not very easy to hone?

I'm off to get a bolt for my front rotors in a minute, I'll ask about gasket kit prices whilst I'm there.

It will cost you $1000 USD to get
3 new cylinder liners
3 new piston and ring sets
a new head gasket
a tube of hylomar (to seal the liners in the block)

that's all you need to completely refresh the motor as long as the head is in good condition

and as long as the bearings are good you can do it all with engine still in frame.....................

Do I even want to guess at what labor would be for the dealer to do this?  :roll: