News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Reibers tiger rebuild

Started by rybes, March 04, 2010, 01:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Well good luck. I will be watching you very closely as I will be just a step or two behind you asking if I can hold your hand on some bits so please dont be shy in giving us the details, how too's and dont doo's.

Anodising mmmm. You scoundrel :lol:  how? where? how much? you are a bad influence :wink:

Bixxer Bob

Anodising.... this is worth a read:

http://astro.neutral.org/anodise5.shtml

I tried it using battery acid (new).  It works, but you have to make sure everything is spotlessly clean otherwise any dirt spots tend to cause burns on the surface.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BruKen

That seems straight forward enough. Thanks Bob I will have to give it a experimental go and see the results.

rybes

hmmm would seem i need to brush up on me terinology too. its the bolts that hold the fairins on that im gettin done. as there bout 2 quid each n theres loads. thing is there steel so ill have t look for an alternative. still wort a go with some other bits i got to do.

well tday has seen a small flurry of spanners and im left with a part dismantled tiger and 2 boxes of bits. hopefully come sunday it should all be in pieces ready to be sent of for what ever needs doin on em.
ill post up some pics tmora. never got time to take any tday. rain stopped play :(
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Bixxer Bob

Funny how things come together sometimes.  When I tried this it was very difficult to prevent bubbles building up and causing pits in the aluminium. Today I got my hands on a cushion meant for folks with bad necks and backs that was being thrown away.  It has a heat element built into it, but better still a vibration box.  

Vibration box taped to the side of the anodising bath should do the trick.

Standing by for all sorts of cheap shots about vibrations.... :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BruKen

What material is the bath made from or will any old plastic basin do? I take it a metal bath unit is a no go.

Mustang

these work good for a home setup , you need a few of them
1 for the acid 1 for the water bath etc

BruKen

Hi Mustang. I'm on my mobile here so can't see the pic that clearly. That looks like a plastic cooler box. If it is how do you keep the reaction cool as cautioned? I must say guys. I never though home annodising was possible. I am seriously impressed and enthusiastic at giving it a go.

Mustang

I have sen home setups where the cooler (coleman cooler like picture ) was vented with a blower motor to exhaust the fumes and air to outside the shop . there really wasn't any cooling so to speak and as long as the anodizing was only done in small batches heat was not a real problem . Big stuff like fork tubes or the like would probably require much more serious equipment than a home tinkerer could afford . But little parts were able to be done quite easily with no problem with heat . the acid bath was monitored with a thermometer , doing small lots and not production type use it worked fine .
there are several websites that go into a good bit of ddetail for home anodizing .

here's a really good article for home anodizing
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~jacobsnj/anodize.htm

rybes

well today i got stuck in and by 9pm all i owned was a pile of bits. 1 box for powder coatin another box fulla little bags with bolts from various parts of the bike. all labeled of course. a shelf full of pieces to clean as wile as a big pile on the floor a pile of bodywork and a frame an an engine on me lift.
i also tried in the wheels i got from the 2000 tiger. fit a treat so im well happy with that.
hopefully ill get the bits of t be powder coated monday. need t get this bike finished before the end of may. ive got someone willin me on, ahem ! lol

some pics till the next instalment

rybes

rybes

rybes

rybes

well all the bits have been sent to the respective coaters and bolts dropped off to be changed for stainless ones  now jus gotta wait up too 2 weeks before i get it all back. think i might paint the bodywork while im waitin. that is if the bloody weather brightens up. still theres loads more i could do. gunna be a busy few weeks i think

BruKen

:D  I like your toys. Especially the bike lift. And I am envious at the speed you managed to strip her down. Good going!! Now grab a coffee while I try to catch up. :wink:

Hope you make your date fella. If you're splitting the engine just be aware of the gasket issue I'm having