News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

YAPI - noobie

Started by BruKen, March 23, 2010, 11:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Ken, stuck brake pad retaining pins are common enough.  You can try heat if it's safe, but I managed without.  Just used a drill the size of the rounded out hex and carefully broke through so the pin and pads can be removed.  Then  went up a size in drill until the seized head gave up and spun out.  Don't go bigger than the root size of the thread though.  I think it's a 6mm thread from memory in which case 5mm is your biggest drill.  Be careful to drill down the middle though, not off to one side.  Good luck!!:wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BruKen

Thanks Bob. I will try that with a reverse drill and see what happens.

JetdocX

I've got that same problem right now with the rear caliper.  Heat it, used Kroil to no effect.  Drilling next.  I think I'll fre the pin then go after the upper threaded portion with the left-twist drill.
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

I'm pretty $h1te at painting too so I can sympathise.

I have posted this elsewhere but to save you hunting, the corrroded in pins seem to be common for that age Nissin calipers, there were stainless replacements available from Sprint Manufacturing but I can't find them since they have updated their website.

I know this doesn't help you right now  :? good luck.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JetdocX

I just read the official service manual.  The calipers were supposed to be assembled with copper anti-sieze paste (like C5A) on these pins.  I'm sure that never happened.
From parts unknown.

Bixxer Bob

Well, at least you know for when you fit the new ones... :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Quote from: "JetdocX"I just read the official service manual.  The calipers were supposed to be assembled with copper anti-sieze paste (like C5A) on these pins.  I'm sure that never happened.

Says that in the Haynes manual too.

Have you tried throwing them round the garage in a childish yet ferocious temper then getting a new set off ebay?  It worked for me when I had yamaha's.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JetdocX

Quote from: "nickcalne"Says that in the Haynes manual too.

Have you tried throwing them round the garage in a childish yet ferocious temper then getting a new set off ebay?  It worked for me when I had yamaha's.

I used to do a lot of that in my younger, more formidable years.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
From parts unknown.

BruKen

A bit of concentrated localised heat

Drill for a clean surface and a dollop of flux

Some fire and silver solder plus a torque bit

Voila

With localised heat I am hoping to have avoided any seal damage.

Finger crossed but I don't think the caliper ever got much hotter that a hundred C based on the bleed nipple rubber which is still intact.

JetdocX

Looking at the external condition of that caliper, I'd remove it, dissassemble, bead blast it, hone the bores and reseal it if it were me.  Brakes are kind of important to me, though. :shock:

And I'd definitely replace that brake hose.  Did you find this bike at the bottom of the ocean?
From parts unknown.

BruKen

Quote from: "JetdocX"Looking at the external condition of that caliper, I'd remove it, dissassemble, bead blast it, hone the bores and reseal it if it were me.  Brakes are kind of important to me, though. :shock:

Absolutely Sir, that is my intention

Quote from: "JetdocX"And I'd definitely replace that brake hose.  Did you find this bike at the bottom of the ocean?

That is a good guess. Very close to it, you obviously read the first post :)

Brake lines will have to be replaced at the very least. The calipers are actually in surprisingly good shape. Some caliper paint and a fresh set of seals and I think they will be OK. I just dislike dissasembling the bloody things. Always seem to cause more damage doing so. Still.....

MIMbox

Love the little Bernzomatic. I have one, from B&Q,but the air tank is no longer available in UK , due to 'Elf@Safety!!
Got two bottles left, then sadness.

Mustang

Quote from: "BruKen"Brake lines will have to be replaced at the very least. The calipers are actually in surprisingly good shape. Some caliper paint and a fresh set of seals and I think they will be OK. I just dislike dissasembling the bloody things. Always seem to cause more damage doing so. Still.....

have you priced a set of seals yet ???????????????

open your wallet wide they aint cheap close to $40 USD a caliper

BruKen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "BruKen"Brake lines will have to be replaced at the very least. The calipers are actually in surprisingly good shape. Some caliper paint and a fresh set of seals and I think they will be OK. I just dislike dissasembling the bloody things. Always seem to cause more damage doing so. Still.....

have you priced a set of seals yet ???????????????

open your wallet wide they aint cheap close to $40 USD a caliper

Oh noooooo. Please don't tell me I am going to pay megabucks for some O-rings. They are really taking the piss here. I have never before come across a bike so expensive with spares. Even a GS was cheaper. What is Triumph playing at? Grrrrrrr fume!!!

Nick Calne

yup it's £20 a caliper from Fowlers.  For 4 pieces of rubber ring.    :evil:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?