News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Three spoke wheel conversion

Started by R0B, May 25, 2011, 07:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

Quote from: "rybes"thats lookin good that is rob 8) ill have to get round to it one day  :lol:

Its a pretty easy conversion, bits to do it are a lot  cheaper than the Roadie swap!

R0B

I honestly don't know about the bars..........I think it's also slightly restricted the lock. I need to get the new rear shock on before I do anything like ride it again......I'm on tiptoes......I used to think I was 'normal' at 6' and a 32" inside leg..............the tiger currently makes me feel like a dwarf on a big bike!!

rf9rider

Know that feeling, with the rear six spoke which is 18 inch, i had to rotate the eccentric adjusters, i can now put the front half of both feet on the floor now!

rybes

Rob, can i ask a favor ? could you measure the length of the forks from the top to the center of the wheel spindle for me.
cheers mate  :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

Rybes, mine is 865mm from top of fork, level with top yoke,to spindle centre.

rybes

cheers RF. looks like ill be doin the common 3 spoke conversion then as the standard length is 880mm and the 1050 length is 825mm. thats a bit to short for my likin and would probably change the handlin charecteristics a bit to much for me. bit gutted really as i like the 1050 rims. still, i spose they can be fitted with a bit of fiddlin  :?

Rob, would it be possible of you could list all the parts youve used to do yours with ? thanks mate

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "R0B"Well it's been kinda slow getting there, but she's nearly finished. I've just ordered a new Hagon to drop the rear an inch and a bit, got the rear hugger to fit and a few bits and bobs..oh like a speedo cable :-) ......but not far off........oh yes, and the 6 pots certainly stop her :-)

Hey! I see a sprint just like mine behind the nice red tigger you got there! You have good taste. My Sprint is green, too.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

R0B

The reason I wanted to be able to do my project bike with standard parts is because of my other project bike, which has been stalled a while. It's further on than in this picture........but still needs attention.

The list of parts for the tiger conversion is roughly as follows:

Early Trophy, Sprint or Trident fork sliders and gubbins (mine were bent, but the stanchions didn't matter)
sprint or trophy 3 spoke wheels/discs/brakes/spindle, speedo drive, front mudguard
Longer speedo cable (I've measured it, and it needs to be 6" longer, but sprint do one 10" longer for £16, so I'm going with that one.)
sprint '96 bottom yoke
German RRT top yoke

http://cgi.ebay.de/Triumph-Speed-Triple ... 1222wt_932

I noticed that Lilleys have the LSL kit for sale at £150, which is a bargain, but I can't swear it fits and it would need the clock brackets removing to allow for the cables.

http://www.jacklilley.com/buy/LSL-Super ... 20T003#eq1

Lower front brake hoses..mine were Goodridge. I replaced all the fork seals and bushes. I replaced the tiger spring with some 20% upgraded Trophy ones from sprint manufacturing, put in the tiger stanchions, 15w fork oil measured 250mm from the top of the tube, and 15mm of pre-load on the spacer (I can't yet comment on the set up yet but it seems ok)

Think that's about it

Rob

rybes

cheers Rob, thats goin to make thigs alot easier for me  :D  
that tb looks great by the way  8) 10 outta 10 for that one  :wink:

rybes

when you say early. what years are we talkin about here ? cheers :D

rf9rider

Early is mainly pre `98, as most of the T3 Triumphs are roughly the same.
All my front  end parts came from a 95 Trident, and 96 Trophy.
The main thing to watch out for with the fork bottoms is to make sure the damper rod bolt is the same size as the Steamer ones.
I`ve got another front end conversion to do soon, i`ll take some pics and post them here if it helps.

rybes

cheers rf. the reason i ask is ive found some wheels for sale from a 97 and i wanna make sure their the right ones before i buy em ;)

rf9rider

If the wheels are from a Trophy, Trident or Sprint with carbs they should fit ok.
You`ll need 310mm brake discs too.

rybes

there of a t595. i now reckon they aint gunna fit are they ?

rf9rider

No mate, the actual wheel "might" fit but the discs will be too big, they`re 320mm on those i think?
And the 310mm and 320mm discs are not interchangeable between the two models wheels.
I know the forks on the T595 are very different, they use a different size caliper too.