News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Died in motion?!

Started by HeavyHustler, August 11, 2013, 07:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyHustler

Well I'm back in the game!  Got the ol bitch running again and just need to get all the parts back on.  Yeeeehaaaaaa!!  However, I will say that whomever engineered this bike needs a few good kicks in jewels.  A guy could use a little more room to work and that airbox setup is just naff!
Tomorrow I will get the tank on and take it for a spin.
Thanks again for the help lads!
Cheers,
Mark   

Bixxer Bob

If you think that setup it difficult you need to look at how much they squeeze into how small a place on a modern sports bike.  It gives rise to the question, "I don't want to / don't have the test kit to work on it myself, but I don't trust the dealer...."
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 25, 2013, 11:29:39 AM
If you think that setup it difficult you need to look at how much they squeeze into how small a place on a modern sports bike.  It gives rise to the question, "I don't want to / don't have the test kit to work on it myself, but I don't trust the dealer...."

So true.  However working on my S3 hasn't been too bad, albeit it is FI.

Test ride started out ok but went downhill.  I was getting some surging at the start then when I would let the clutch out and give it some gas it would die.  It wants to go but dies......ugh.   :icon_study:

rf9rider

Did you clean the carbs while you had it in bits?

If its been sat a while, the gas might have gummed up the carbs?

HeavyHustler

Yeah I cleaned them up.  Another symptom is when I rev the the bike and let the throttle go it takes time for the revs to drop.  A few mates say it's prolly a vacuum leak..... :icon_study:

HeavyHustler

Where is the engine number located?  I looked above the clutch cover where I thought it was but I cant make out any numbers?  Am I looking in the wrong place?
Cheers,
Mark

ned37

Quotewhen I rev the the bike and let the throttle go it takes time for the revs to drop
depends on what your definition of "time" is, but mine lags too, runs great.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

97tiger885

Quote from: HeavyHustler on November 27, 2013, 06:07:20 AM
Where is the engine number located?  I looked above the clutch cover where I thought it was but I cant make out any numbers?  Am I looking in the wrong place?
Cheers,
Mark

The engine number is where you were looking:

The number is stamped on the rectangle space at the end of the screwdriver.

The good news is it is easy to access.  The bad news is it is very, very, very, very,...,very hard to read.  The characters are composed of small dotlike indentations.  I did it by first cleaning the area.  Then I shone a very bright light at an angle until the dots showed up.  I had to move the light for each character.  It was a long frustrating process.  I tried using a pencil and piece of paper with no luck.  YMMV.

ONCE YOU GET THE NUMBER STORE A COPY IN A SAFE PLACE.  YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO THRU THIS AGAIN.

HeavyHustler

LOL!  Thanks for that!  :icon_mrgreen:

Holy crap that was hard.  Had to rub some WD-40 on it and hold the light just right!   :sign13

HeavyHustler

I am thinking that solving a rubics cube might be easier........ugh.  So I got the cam chain sorted and aligned perfectly.  However, now I am having two other issues.  1- I'm sure I have a small vacuum leak, sprayed some starter fluid on the boots and teh revs increased.  So I ordered some new ones.  2- When I rev the bike to 5k rpm's and hold it there, eventually the rpm's start to slowly drop back down to 3k rpm's.  Bike will idle just fine, I just cleaned the carbs and checked them again afterwards for any gunk, none found.
Thoughts?

Cheers,
Mark

rf9rider

When you cleaned the carbs, did you take the pilot jets out?

These usually block up and need a strand of wire poking through them to clear them out.

Sin_Tiger

Have you had the petcock and attached filter out of the tank, filter could be on its last legs.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HeavyHustler

I didn't run a wire through them but they are soaking in seafoam overnight.  I will wire them.  I also just ordered new parts anyways.

ATM I am using an auxilary fuel tank so the fuel is flowing freely...... :icon_study:

97tiger885

While the tank is off, I would pull the petcock out and remove the two sock filters from the feed pipes.  At a certain age, they often collapse under vacuum causing fuel starvation and stalling. 

And do not replace the inline filter between the carbs.  If that filter clogs, it is a lot of work to pull the carbs and replace it.  Many have gone to an inline filter close to the petcock.

HeavyHustler

I noticed mine does not have this filter sock at the carbs.  I cleaned the petcock socks though, even though it is not the problem here since i have the auxilary fuel tank.

I did buy an external fuel filter but haven't installed it... maybe after i get the whole thing running again...... :icon_scratch: