News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

engines locked up ?

Started by rybes, July 08, 2014, 12:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

mornin all, well today was supposed to see the startin of the tiger but all it does is click n nuffin else. can only get it to turn over by hand about a fraction of a turn backwards but just wont turn over forwards at all. has somthin fallen down from the alternator drive shaft, when it come out, to lock it up or is the engine no good ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

Mornin mate, did you try and turn it over when you first got it?

What work you done on it?

Have you tried it without the plugs in?

rybes

alright mate, no i didnt. its in the gearbox area. can move it bout an 18th of a turn then theres a loud clonk and it stops. im thinkin somthins fell off the alternator shaft or summink. so gunna take off the clutch n find out if its engine or box but either way the engines gotta come out n be stripped down. now i gotta find somehwere with space so i can pull it apart.

if the alternator shaft comes out while the engine is upright would anythin fall off and into the engine ?

Mustang

the sprag clutch, will fall into the innards ...................

rybes

fraserdog

A mate had the same syptoms and the Alternator had disintegrated,he found this out after stripping the engine out of the frame and barking up most of the wrong trees!.He wished he had looked at the alternator first and save all the extra time and effort removing the engine and stripping it.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

rybes

alternators all good fraser. engines out but cant strip it down as the tool i need is in denmark gotta see if i can get hold of one today. bloody triumph n their torx bolts

rybes

well engines in half, gearbox is out and the the bits that are supposed to be on the alternator shaft are on it and now its upside down it turns over. wtf jammed it up.

ram33

something broke loose and floating around?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

rybes

not that i could see. the alternator shaft had broke the bolt on the clutch en so im wonderin if the starter gear had come off and jammed up ?

Mustang

Quote from: rybes on July 09, 2014, 08:29:55 PM
not that i could see. the alternator shaft had broke the bolt on the clutch en so im wonderin if the starter gear had come off and jammed up ?
where is the bolt head for the clutch end alt shaft?

rybes

was in the shaft loose, where its supposed to be. jus broken

fraserdog

Are you sure the alternator spins freely and it's definitely not that that is causing the lockup?
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

rybes

alternators fine. im at a loss now, ive used all me knowledge up. anyone want a pile of tiger parts ?

Bixxer Bob

Gotta do my brake pads tomorrow, then run out to bed them in so could pop over later?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...