News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

EXTREME MAKEOVER........Steamer Edition

Started by Mustang, January 21, 2010, 05:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveb

Looking nice there Mustang, I was concered when reading page 1 about changing front wheels sizes I know how some small modifications like this affect the speedo.  By the sound of your mod, the new front wheel and tyre combination is the same size as the exisiting, wheel and tyre combinations.

This next bit will bore your all to sleep, for that I apologise.

I will come clean, I am a design engineer for an automotive instrumentation company. Possibly best know as 'Smiths Instruments' although company name changes over the last 20 years.

I understand how mechanical speedos have a critical gear ratio between the hub and speedo input plus how a simple change will effect the pointer position for speed.

however it sounds like the new wheel /  tyre combo has the same rolling circumferance as the original.

I know a few guys from the TDM owners who have change the front wheel size by 1 inch, this has resulted in a 6.5% increase in speed shown (true 60mph displays 65mph) plus 6.5% mile increase. for 1 mile travelled the bike shows 1.65 miles.

type approval for cars (SVA or IVA or Holomgation) speedo can not show less than true speed, however it can display true speed + 10% +4km/h.

Mustang

ah but what you are missing in this equation is the fact that the trophy uses the same speedo as a tigger the difference is in the speedo drive ........and I modified a trophy speedo drive to work on the tigger , thats why the speedo drive is on the right hand side now .

The speed is actually a little slow on the speedometer because of the diameter of the tire
but should fall right back to perfect as soon as I put my new front tire on which is a smaller diameter more the size of an original trophy tire

daveb

got it Mustang, both tigger and trophy uses a common speedo, hence with a new tyre the calculations bring it back into tolerance.

I just had to check as a lot o people do this mod and forget about the speedo, but you have put a lot of thought into this before you did the mod, excellent.

Mudhen

Ok, can we stop talking about Mustangs speedo?

:wink:
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Quote from: "Mudhen"Ok, can we stop talking about Mustangs speedo?

eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww! I don't think clorox makes enough eye bleach for that  :ImaPoser

daveb

Quote from: "Mudhen"Ok, can we stop talking about Mustangs speedo?

oh no, okay I will stop talking speedos, been told off  :( ......how about tachos... :D

just kidding.

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

daveb

Quote from: "EvilBetty"

nice n spice

NeilD

Quote from: "Mustang".... put the stock front fender (mud guard ) back on......

Be interested to see how that looks once its on...

Mustang

Quote from: "NeilD"
Quote from: "Mustang".... put the stock front fender (mud guard ) back on......

Be interested to see how that looks once its on...

It looks like this ...

not as mad max as the high fender and big ass shinko 705 though
But oh my my it handles like it's on a rail it is so flickable in the twistys changing your line in mid corner is easy as pie , the handling is phenomenal

Mudhen

Is that your TA?!?!?!?!!
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Quote from: "Mudhen"Is that your TA?!?!?!?!!

Nope
Andy's, just adding some gizmo's for him

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Mudhen"Is that your TA?!?!?!?!!

Nope
Andy's, just adding some gizmo's for him

You ridden it (or one) before?  Wondering what it's like compared to a Steamer...(maybe a tad bit outside the scope of this thread I guess...)  :wink:
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

I've ridden it ..
this one is a 1989 model , it is a 750 v twin . it does ok it's definitely easier to maneuver in a parking lot than a tigger , the friggin exhaust pipe will burn your leg when you put your foot down at a stop light . OUCH ! it got me
it's way down on power compared to a tigger
You can seee where triumph got the styling from for the steamer ............
Andy love's it , some parts like brittle plastic body work are made of unobtainium .
it's really easy and painless to service the airfilter
the rest is about on par for difficulty the same as a steamer .
It's a honda and reflects that in build quality and reliability .

It's narrow and smaller than tigger so I could see where it would make a good off road machine , enduro style adv type of bike , a CRF it's not !

GavD

Mustang,
I'm carrying out a similar front wheel conversion with a 6 spoke Trident style one. With regards to the speedo drive, i presume you had to also reduce the width of the actual worm drive spinner within the speedo drive, and had to manufacture a sleeve to fit over the wheel spindle and inside the speedo drive centre due to the differences in spindle size between the tiger and the trophy.

Am i right in thinking that?
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S