News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

EXTREME MAKEOVER........Steamer Edition

Started by Mustang, January 21, 2010, 05:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: "GavD"Mustang,
 With regards to the speedo drive, i presume you had to also reduce the width of the actual worm drive spinner within the speedo drive, and had to manufacture a sleeve to fit over the wheel spindle and inside the speedo drive centre due to the differences in spindle size between the tiger and the trophy.

Am i right in thinking that?

if you look in the pic you will see the end of the gear shaft had to be turned down the same amount that the alum casting width had to be reduced by and then needed new slots machined into the end to run off the tangs in the wheel
I chucked the speedo drive in a lathe and turned the outside face of it down until I had the correct width . Which BTW left the wall thickness pretty thin in one spot , but it works fine as the casting is pretty rugged otherwise .and then pressed a sleeve into it to make up for the difference in the axle sizes

it's been working fine eevr since for a couple thousand miles so far .
pic below shows the drive in the lathe and starting to be machined

the end result is like this with the larger diameter hub completely removed

also keep in mind that the trophy speedo drives off the right hand side of the wheel so must be mounted on that side
other than the gears being cut a different direction the trophy and tiger speedo drives are a like
you could modify a tiger drive and eliminate the need to bush the axle the tiger drive would need to mounted on the left it will also err on speed due to wheel size , I used the trophy drive and speed indication is spot on with the tiger speedo  .

Mudhen

Wow, didn't realize it was so easy...seems like a simple job anyone could do...

:lol:
\'96 Steamer

GavD

Thank you (again) Mustang,

What material did you use to make the sleeve/spacer. It looks like Aluminium in the photo, but surely thats a bit soft isn't it?

Gav
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Mustang

Quote from: "GavD"Thank you (again) Mustang,

What material did you use to make the sleeve/spacer. It looks like Aluminium in the photo, but surely thats a bit soft isn't it?

Gav
spacer in photo is the one for the other side , if you look you will see an aluminum alloy spacer in the speedo drive already , It's 7075 alloy (read expensive) but is as strong or stronger than steel .
But any alloy aluminum will work just fine ...........they are to load the bearings and keep the axle centered is all they serve a purpose for

R0B

I came across this thread, and have read it with interest. It certainly has the WOW factor!!. I have a thunderbird with a zxr1200 front end on, and also have a spare set of 1997 sprint sport wheels. Both have the speedo drive on the left. I also have a set of four and six pot tokico calipers in the garage and am now very keen on the conversion. Just out of interest, as I'm collecting my steamer on wednesday could someone post the distance between the inner fork stantions (inner spindle length), as I can measure up both sets of wheels and see what'll fit .

Cheers

Rob

GavD

Rob,

The gap between the inner faces of the fork stantions (i.e. the space available to fit in the speedo drive, wheel and spacer) is 143mm.

R0B

Many thanks.....................ruler is coming straight out and off to the garage :-)

R0B

Well, the ZRX setup is miles too wide, and the Sprint looks to be the same as the trophy................I might measure my trident yokes and see what would happen if I swapped them over to the tiger..............

MtheTiger

Well, I got me some nice looking Sprint rims (3 spoked ones like Trophy) for a nice price to do the Mustang 2.0 Tigger conversion.
Because I do not have a lathe I will have to let someone make the spacers, caliperbrackets & speedo conversion.
Are there any measurements or tech drawings with specs available for these items?

thx a lot
 :?
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

I got no dims as I just made the pcs as I went along ..........

if I strip her down any time soon I will get the dimensions you need for all the parts and send them to you

MtheTiger

thx Mustang, that would B great.
I have my holiday from august 21 to september 6 and I was planning to do my conversion in this period....... hope this isn't too soon  :wink:
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

GavD

Mustang,
Once you'd machined the speedo drive down, you've effectively removed the part of the drive that stops all the crap & rain getting into the wheel bearings on that side. Did you do anything to the wheel to counteract this or is it just a case of dropping the wheel out regularly to clean & regrease?

Mustang

you dont really think that piss poor design ever kept anything out of there do you ?

But I also machined it the same diameter as the original seal surface so the rubber seal is still working as good as it ever did ! :D

rf9rider

Mustang,does the Girly Touratech chain guard give any extra clearance between the guard and chain compared to the original?

Looks higher in your pics, thinking it might be the way to go if you lower the rear end by turning the eccentric adjusters?

Mustang

Quote from: "rf9rider"Mustang,does the Girly Touratech chain guard give any extra clearance between the guard and chain compared to the original?

Looks higher in your pics, thinking it might be the way to go if you lower the rear end by turning the eccentric adjusters?
There is a spacer under the rear mount if you don't use a spacer you will be mighty close to the chain and sprocket when the axle is flipped upside down to lower .