News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

loose head bearins

Started by rybes, June 03, 2012, 05:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

after findin out what the clonkin was on the front of me tiger i got new head bearings for it. not genuine ones but the triumph parts list kindly gave the sizes for em so i could get em from a local place.
bearings got n fitted in but i still cant seem to adjust the play out of em. at the moment im not with the bike im still in denmark but im goin back monday night to england so tues ill be tryin t sort it out. the dust seals have been fitted back and the bearings have all been seated properly but there still loose. any ideas why ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

the only thing I can see in the part fiche is :

do you have the right nut adjuster assembly for the bearings you are using

QuoteADJUSTER NUT ASSY, LOWER
SERIAL NUMBER 43811 AND HIGHER - LOWER
   1390125       $17.60
6:
ADJUSTER NUT, LOWER
SERIAL NUMBER 43810 AND BELOW - LOWER
   1379228       $4.10

rybes

i think so mustang. im usin the same one that came off the bike when i stripped it. according to worldoftriumph parts list they both use the same nuts for the top of the stem. ill have a better look tuesday when im there and see what i can see. bloody confusin tho as to why its the way it is ?

BruKen

I'm going to ask a dumb question here.... are you absolutely sure its the head clunking and not the shocks when they dive? Not on the tiger, but on another damper rod model, I had too much oil in. Gave similar characteristics to your original description due to air locks / bubbles whatever by overfilling.

.... just to lead you down the garden path a bit. Easy enough to check and discount without stripping tho.

Similarly, low on oil and .......

rf9rider

Rybes, i read on the Rat site about some after market bearings being a little smaller than the originals.

I think the bearing numbers were the same, but one of the letters on the bearing was different.

Have you still got the old bearings to compare numbers?

I take it your still using the original wheels and forks?

rybes

cheers rf ill have a good look at it tommorw and have a measure up.

does anyone know what no.3 is on this pic
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_m ... k_03=23773
i dont remember seein one on my bike and im wonderin if that could be the problem ?

BruKen

It tells you below the diagram Rybes.

rybes

yeah i see that bruken. i was jus wonderin what it does as i dont remember seein it when i took mine apart. so i jus wondered if anyone else has seen one on their bike ?

Mustang

Quote from: "rybes"cheers rf ill have a good look at it tommorw and have a measure up.

does anyone know what no.3 is on this pic
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_m ... k_03=23773
i dont remember seein one on my bike and im wonderin if that could be the problem ?

if your using a tapered top bearing it's the cup for the bearing race , if it's missing it's why you can't set preload on the headstock bearings

the silver thing in this photo is #3 you need it if your using tapered top bearings

rybes

cheers mustang. im wonderin then if the powder coaters took it out when they done the frame but never put it back. poxy jubilee this weekedn i cant get one now till weds  :x  still at least i can get it all pulled apart ready for it. just a pain in the arse cos i gotta knock out the top bearing now and it was a nightmare to get out.  :evil:

rybes

if ya scroll down the thread to pic 387 would you say that thin line close to the top is that bearing cup or is it on the headstock ?

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=20

havnt looked at mine yet probly do it later on today

Mustang

looks like the bearing cup to me

rybes

never got round to lookin at it today. me heads still fuzzy from travellin yesterday. so if that thing is the bearnig cup i wonder what the problem could be ? do you think i could get away with puttin a big washer between the bearing and bottom nut ?

Mustang

a spacer that will only push on the center race of the bearing would work ...........but why should you have to ? , somethings amiss  I fear.

The only thing I can think of is :
Has the stem in the  lower clamp somehow pulled out , that would make it so you can't tighten the nut for preload on the bearings .

They are welded in pretty good though .

rybes

hmmmmm this sounds like its goin to be fun. roll on tmora when i can get at it