News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

what kind of helmet do you wear?

Started by aeronca, April 17, 2009, 09:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pharmer

Arai Corsair RX-7.  Best helmet I've ever owned.  A bit 'spensive (even after I got it on clearance) but it feels like it was molded specifically for my head.  Arai probably has me for life now.  I ride with a clear shield and Rx sunglasses.

I'm looking for a dirt helmet now so this is a great thread...

aeronca

ok i just ordered an hjc is-max modular(flip up). for 13 years i wore a nolan, but the thing smells like a frog pond and the padding is flat and worn out. i talked with jetdox and decided this was the way to go. i love my hjc is-33 open face, and am convinced they build a great helmet. i'll give a full review when i get it. 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

aeronca

up-date: after a wet winter of riding, the hjc is-max gets two thumbs up!!! this is a really cool helmet. i love the internal sun shades. doesnt seem to leak any worse than my old nolan. light weight and comfy. the only down side is that there is no chin flap thing to help stop the wind blowing in, but thats small potatos. also - i cant say enough about the hjc is-33 i use for warmer weather. HJC really hit the mark. 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

flaco

I'll go with the Schuberth C3. Loadsamoney but snug, quiet and with a built-in sun-visor. Black and understated, so obviously won't appeal to blokes who like to protect their skulls with another skull.
kernow bys vyken

Colonel Nikolai

I own an Arai Quantum II, which they don't make anymore. They replaced it with the Vector. I have a Klingon head and it's hard to fit me, but I've been riding for over 20 years and the Arai family of helmets are the only helmets that have ever really fit me. Other helmets have never come close to the comfort.

Arai helmets are better not just because they fit better, they are better because they don't compromise the design of the helmet to make the visor hinge system work better. Usually helmet makers have a flat surface on either side of the helmet to make the visor hinge work better. Arai believes this compromises the strength of the helmet overall, which is based on the arch principle. The end result is a stronger, lighter helmet than anyone else with a fit I have never been able to find anywhere else.

The bad part is the visor is an absolute pain in the a** to replace because it's so complex. I've broken a hinge or two doing it. Thankfully the hinge is cheap to replace.

I love the weight of a carbon fiber helmet but because Arai will not use that material, I suspect it's not as safe (unverified opinion warning).

As far as full face versus open face is concerned, odds are when you go down you're locking up the front wheel or highsiding. In those two cases you're going down on your chin or your shoulder. That's enough reason for me to never even consider less than a full face helmet. Amen.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

John Stenhouse

I seem to remember reading that the new Quantum has recently been shown to journalists here
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Colonel Nikolai

I mean my helmet is the Astral-X, not the Quantum. They don't make the Astral-X anymore.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

tett

Arai XD-3

Expensive but a great helmet.  

Good for my shape of head.
Excellent venting.
Fantastic visibility.
Removable liners.
Replacement parts.
Quiet for a full face helmet.  I still wear ear plugs.

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

daveb

I am using a HJC CL XS

sort of a moto-x lid hybrid, built in visor so no need for goggles.
the inside can be removed

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/35530

TheMule

Recently bought a Scorpion exo-700. Had to change out the cheek pads for a set with a little more room, added a tinted green visor and wind guard. Very happy with it.
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

DESERT RAIDER

shoei hornet ds , top helmet.

Geoff D

Went to Hein Gericke in Newcastle yesterday with the intention of buying the new schuberth flip up helmet, been using a system 4 for the last few years, only reason I got the flip front is so I could have a smoke with my hat on  :roll: .
Anyway I wasn't too happy with the schuberth  :? couldn't get it comfortable so I started trying others.
Ended up with an Arai Chaser, quite simply the most comfortable helmet I've EVER tried.... not expensive either.. and as I've stopped using the weed I don't need a flip up anyway  8)
Was so pleased with it I treated myself to some new Daytona boots  (current ones 15 years old) set of heated grips for the Tenere, some mini indicators for the rebuild and a few other bits & pieces.....  :P
The older I get the faster I was...

Sabertooth

I hesitate to share because I KNOW you are all going to find this helmet and buy it once you see it, but I wear HGC's "Lola" helmet with a rainbow, iredescent shield.  It's spiffy as all get out.

In all truthfulness, I want it to be absolutely OBVIOUS that a woman is riding my Tiger.   8)
Jane
2006 955i, Caspian Blue
2008 1050 Blaze Orange

Geoff D

The older I get the faster I was...

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Sabertooth"....In all truthfulness, I want it to be absolutely OBVIOUS that a woman is riding my Tiger.   8)

I dunno,  I know a couple of blokes that would wear that, erm - 'blokes' is probably overstating it,  and they aren't real bikers.... :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...