News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

EXTREME MAKEOVER........Steamer Edition

Started by Mustang, January 21, 2010, 05:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

just makes the tread pattern go the same way as most front tires do .
when looking at the wheel head on from the front on a v shaped tread pattern the pointy end of the tread should point up for optimum wear and handling , or so they say ...... :?
like this pic

aeronca

man, thats looking good. nice work 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

John Stenhouse

Thanks for that, must say it does look good. Let us know how it handles.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

Took her out last night for a 25 mile spin before the snow comes today ...........
can't say that I notice any huge difference in the handling , but I do like that rear dunlop a lot .

other than the cool factor the handling feels a little better , the front seems more solidly planted to the road.
Gotta lower the ass end some though she's sitting pretty tall in the rear .
I will either flip the eccentrics over or maybe take some preload off of the ohlins..........decisions decisions. :?

The modified trophy speedometer drive appears to be pretty darn close to the correct speed with the Tiger speedo and big front tire

Mudhen

It really seems like you make a modification and want it to make the bike better for some reason.

No habla better in my house...

:wink:
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

well the front anchors are far superior to the tigger front rotors
she has mucho better braking now .

will have to wait until I can really flog it in the twisties b4 deciding if the handling was a big improvement or not ........

It does look cool though

harre

Let us see her from the front! Pleeeez. :D

John Stenhouse

Wondered about the handling, 180/55 is supposer to slow the turn down. Suppose on a Tigger it' don't matter
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

MtheTiger

Hi Mustang

VERY nice mod !
Mean lookin' Tigger  :headbang

Grtz

Markus
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

Well ............
have about 150 miles on the new rims and tires .
I'm liking them a lot .
The front feels more planted in every kind of situation .sticks to the curves like glue
does wet muddy dirt roads like it was made for it
cruises on the super slab like riding on a cloud
and back roads with frost heaves and twistys are what this kitty purrrs for now .

all in all I like the mod a lot , & Am thinking the hacked rig in the background would like some of the same treatment

coachgeo

How much weight does it add to the bike in relation to:

Here weight with OEM set up.

Picking her up if she's gone to sleep?

The feel when riding?
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Mustang

Quote from: "coachgeo"How much weight does it add to the bike in relation to:

Here weight with OEM set up.

don't know for sure , I'll say none

QuotePicking her up if she's gone to sleep?
NADA zip zero , and for the record she has only napped a couple of times in 12 years , I try to keep her upright :shock:  :ImaPoser

QuoteThe feel when riding?

just feels planted on the front end a lot better .......no weight difference

Rocinante

Interesting how you've gone the opposite way and in some ways feel the same as me with my 21 inch front. Yours should be a lot better on twisty tarmac, but not in the loose stuff where the diameter matter more, ie bigger is better.

Or so I believed. Does the increased width really help in the mud?

It looks really good - and balanced. 17-17 now right?

Dag
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Mustang

Hi Dag

Have only been down 1 dirt road with it set up like this so far .
It was semi frozen mud , the bigger meaty front was definately an improvement over the 110 / 19  front felt more planted , and I was doing 50 mph .
The big test will be later in the year when I get into some sugar sand on some of my favorite back roads. I'm hoping for the bigger tire to not wash out so easy in the sand .

She does look bad to the bone though with the trophy wheels  :thumbsup  :love10

EvilBetty

I wonder how much that fork brace you built has to do with your improved braking and handling?  I have always wondered if my bike could benefit from one.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD