News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shock on it's last legs

Started by NortonCharlie, October 13, 2013, 01:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cba191

Quote from: Dutch on October 15, 2013, 05:23:19 PM
Quote from: Chris Canning on October 14, 2013, 04:39:56 PM
I wouldn't spend money on a shock that doesn't have a remote preload or a remote reservoir,
Neither would I:

Supplier does ship overseas  :icon_wink:

$1099 from wilbersamerica.com. 3-4 week lead time. Now to determine if it's worth the cash.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Chris Canning

Is it worth the cash is not the way to look at it,first question is how long do you intend to keep the bike,second if you saw a shock for sale on here for $750 would you buy it???,I suggest yes which means if buying new all your doing is renting it  :icon_lol:,there's only ever been one forsale and that was Timbox's and it sold straight away,so it's not like you'll struggle to sell it.

My question?? why is everything cheaper in the States,the Wilbers on my K were bought secondhand by me and the guy who bought e'm new got them in the States, Germany/America/Uk and still cheaper than buying them here!!!!! :icon_scratch:

cba191

vat?   we're cheap bastards?  people used to like us?  i really don't know.

All I do know is that the Dalton Highway will probably blow up the stock shock that is on the bike now.  lol

NortonCharlie

"$1099 from wilbersamerica.com. 3-4 week lead time. Now to determine if it's worth the cash. " 

Is that like shown with remote reservoir and hydraulic preload?  Sound like a good deal to me. 

I think I understand what I am getting into.  Would you tell me if I am right.

Going to this type of shock I should be able to get a ride similar to what I had with my original shock but have it do a better job of keeping the tire on the ground, better stability and better consistency under hard use?

01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

gawoody83

Is there nothing that can be converted to work, something from a ktm or Yamaha or something? Thats alot of cash for me and i would love to keep the bike for a while, but the rear is starting to sag and get soft.

Chris Canning

Quote from: NortonCharlie on October 16, 2013, 03:30:30 PM
"$1099 from wilbersamerica.com. 3-4 week lead time. Now to determine if it's worth the cash. " 

Is that like shown with remote reservoir and hydraulic preload?  Sound like a good deal to me. 

Going to this type of shock I should be able to get a ride similar to what I had with my original shock but have it do a better job of keeping the tire on the ground, better stability and better consistency under hard use?

You have no idea what you are getting into!!! but you will when you go for your first ride.

Will you get a ride similar to what you had with the original?? that'll be a no!! thanks heavens.

Chris Canning

Quote from: gawoody83 on October 16, 2013, 04:39:04 PM
Is there nothing that can be converted to work, something from a ktm or Yamaha or something? Thats alot of cash for me and i would love to keep the bike for a while, but the rear is starting to sag and get soft.

I'm sure you asked in all sincerity but it like asking if your front door key will fit next doors house because it's a key which looks the same  :icon_wink:

You best look for a secondhand original with low miles or just hope a secondhand aftermarket one turns up and even then you'll to make sure it's sprung for your weight,if your 170lbs it'll be no good expecting a shock that's sprung for a 225lb guy to work because it won't,you'll need it revalving and a new spring.

cba191

just like the pic shows. Talked to Ted at wilbersamerica (the beemershop owner). He seems lime a great guy. He also mentioned that he's been getting a lot more Triumph business lately :)

he asks for a $300 deposit, and the rest is due at shipping (3-4 weeks)

NortonCharlie

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 16, 2013, 05:12:57 PM

You have no idea what you are getting into!!! but you will when you go for your first ride.

Will you get a ride similar to what you had with the original?? that'll be a no!! thanks heavens.
Yea yea yea, I get it, I will be amazed by the difference.  :icon_biggrin: What I don't want is something that always feels like I am setup for a track day.  I still want to go play on the twisties and a little in the dirt and I also want to be able to load up with 250 lbs of gear and and feel good doing 600 mile days or 300 miles on 2 track trails.  The original did a fair job in all those situations.  Will this one do a better job on all? 
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

I'd go and buy another stock shock,the idea of you never knowing what you've missed appeals to me  :icon_wink:

I had a conversation with Timbox not so long back about all this stuff,it's not the 'Is the cost worth it' 'Will I noticed the difference' blah blah blah  it's the after when you get 'I can't believe the difference and how good it is and I didn't realise how crap the stock shock was'

Now that really does get on my tits  :icon_biggrin:

I have a mate with a VFR800 who I'd been plaguing for years to put a decent shock on and after it was fitted told me he had a complaint 'Whats that I ask' you should have been trying harder to convince me I've missed years of riding without one  :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:

NortonCharlie

Quote from: John Stenhouse on October 16, 2013, 11:13:11 PM
YES!
That is the answer I was looking for, hopefully it was to my question.  I don't mind spending the $1200, was really expecting more.  I think Chris might be telling me the same thing.  Hard for this simple mind to decipher.  Might need to invest in some valves for the forks next.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Chris Canning

I haven't said anything about the forks because you'll very quickly work that out for yourself,it was John who said you'll be 10mph quicker everywhere and you will and more,but soon realise the squidgy forks can't cope with the new well planted rear end,at very least you'll needs springs and 15wt how much is a matter of taste.

Never comes across well on a one make board,but scratch the surface(with a few mods) of our old 955 and underneath is a dam good bike(still)

Dutch

Quote from: NortonCharlie on October 15, 2013, 11:22:16 PM
I got on the Wilbers site and it looks like for the wire wheeled 955 that you have a choice of
model 640-0630-00 for 499.00 
model 641-0630-00 for 699.00
and the hydraulic preload is 625-0046-00 for 199.00  all prices in Euros I believe. 

If I am not mistaken the 641 has the remote reservoir.

So everything all out $950.00 + $270.00 =$1220 plus whatever it takes to get it here.  About $250 less without the remote reservoir.  That sounds like a lot but really not to bad. 

Do those numbers sound about right?
You are correct. The 640 is the emulsion shock, the 641 is the shock with remote reservoir and compression also adjustable. Prices include 19% German VAT, you don't have to pay that on export. So that makes at today's exchange rate US$ 1050. Considering the shipment cost and banking charges (those %$! still take an arm and a legg  :icon_mad: ) to the US the $ 1099 isn't unreasonable.

Mine is for a spoke wheel Girly, length adjustment isn't an option. For the wire wheel this is possible (+ $ 56).

All Wilbers (and Hyperpro etc) are made to customer specifications, so if you tell them you ride it on trails they will give it settings suitable for that. Also your weight, that of a pillon and/or luggage is taken into account.

Shocks from another bike will not due to the simple fact that most bikes have a link system while on the Girly the shock is placed directly on the swing arm.

cba191

they are height adjustable as well?