News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shock on it's last legs

Started by NortonCharlie, October 13, 2013, 01:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

Wilbers with remote preload and Wilbers fork internals.

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Dutch

A 640 then. @Chris: for the cast wheel Wilbers has all three shocks available: 640 without remote reservoir, 641 with reservoir on hose and 642 with piggy back reservoir. The 642 being a tad more expensive than the 641.

gawoody83

Is there a difference between the 885I shock and the 955I? Length, spring rates or valving?

Chris Canning

Quote from: gawoody83 on October 21, 2013, 04:04:16 PM
Is there a difference between the 885I shock and the 955I? Length, spring rates or valving?

99/2004 same shock,having had both it's a really strange comparison because they share so many parts and yet feel so different.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Dutch on October 21, 2013, 02:29:01 PM
A 640 then. @Chris: for the cast wheel Wilbers has all three shocks available: 640 without remote reservoir, 641 with reservoir on hose and 642 with piggy back reservoir. The 642 being a tad more expensive than the 641.

It's the reason I asked the 642 in my book is a proper shock all integral like it should be having a separate res(641) is a real pain in the ass something else to strap on the frame!!!

cba191

'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Chris Canning

You would have to ask but I see no reason why not as it's the same as my Ohlins,another story really and I'll keep it clean as the conversation was politically incorrect but at a WSB meeting afew years ago in Germany I had a conversation with the Ohlins importer who really went on a rant about Wilbers being such a copy you could even change the internal parts over like for like but he said it slightly different to that  :icon_lol:

cba191

The reason I ask is that Ted, the guy at wilbersamerica, said the remote red is the one wilbers recommends for the Girly. But the recommended yacugar shock is of the piggyback variety.

gawoody83

Are there any upgraded springs available for these shocks? Or is it non servicable?

Chris Canning

Quote from: gawoody83 on October 21, 2013, 06:02:06 PM
Are there any upgraded springs available for these shocks? Or is it non servicable?

Strange question!! non serviceable are you kidding you can strip e'm to th bare bones and back,any spring you like but when you order they ask your weight do you carry a passenger? their weight,do you carry luggage and how much and after all that how fast do you ride hence when they come they are bang on.

Dutch

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 21, 2013, 05:29:01 PM
You would have to ask but I see no reason why not as it's the same as my Ohlins,another story really and I'll keep it clean as the conversation was politically incorrect but at a WSB meeting afew years ago in Germany I had a conversation with the Ohlins importer who really went on a rant about Wilbers being such a copy you could even change the internal parts over like for like but he said it slightly different to that  :icon_lol:
Wilbers doesn't list a 642 (piggy back) for the wire wheel Girly, I have no information about the reason behind this. So cannot comment it it would be possible or not. As for parts being interchangable, did I mention before the shock world is a bit Hillbilly?

I guess it's a bit like the food industry and most other industries: ideas get copied, private label manufacturing etc. etc.  :hat10

Chris Canning

Quote from: cba191 on October 21, 2013, 05:34:39 PM
The reason I ask is that Ted, the guy at wilbersamerica, said the remote red is the one wilbers recommends for the Girly. But the recommended yacugar shock is of the piggyback variety.

It something you'll have to discuss with him but I have a 641 on my K1200 it doesn't have the remote res(which means I don't have separate compression and rebound) which is an absolute ball ache,I don't do heaps of mileage on it so I have to grin and bare it because I have a combined compression and rebound like the crappy Triumph shock,I've been meaning to get the res added the importer is only 20 minutes down the road but if I can get some kind of deal done will buy a 642 with it being integral just less hassle to fit and everything is in the shock, except the preload adjuster.

I only add all this because I have learned from my mistakes,when I bought my Wilbers secondhand thought good shocks come with a remote res  :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

cba191

Quote from: Dutch on October 21, 2013, 07:12:18 PM
Quote from: Chris Canning on October 21, 2013, 05:29:01 PM
Wilbers doesn't list a 642 (piggy back) for the wire wheel Girly, I have no information about the reason behind this. So cannot comment it it would be possible or not. As for parts being interchangable, did I mention before the shock world is a bit Hillbilly?

I guess it's a bit like the food industry and most other industries: ideas get copied, private label manufacturing etc. etc.  :hat10

K.  Thank you.  I guess I'll have to "settle" for the remote res when I order it tomorrow.  :)

Dutch

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 21, 2013, 07:13:55 PM
I have a 641 on my K1200 it doesn't have the remote res
Unless I have something very wrong the remote reservoir is the key marker for a 641. You probably have the 640 emulsion type, which is a very decent shock for most bikes and uses.

Chris Canning

I've checked the box it doesn't say but regardless it's a pain in the arse with no separate compression rebound.