News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shock on it's last legs

Started by NortonCharlie, October 13, 2013, 01:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonCharlie

My low mile (17,000) 2001 955 Tiger was feeling a little wallowy on my last ride, checked and the rebound damping was 3 clicks open it was acting more like 4 or 5 .  Set it to 2 and will test it tomorrow.  What seems to be the replacement shock of choice for the wire wheeled 955's.  Seemed like choices were pretty limited and it seemed like they are not rebuild-able.  I was actually pretty happy with the performance of the original.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Chris Canning

Wilbers/Hyperpro/Hagon and the next decision is what spec to order it in,check the posts on here about riding without a remote res etc and do you need a remote preload.

NortonCharlie

Hi Chris,

I certainly need an easy way to adjust the preload so the remote is probably the way to go.  Those names sound familiar and if I remember right you listed those in from highest to lowest (cost/quality).  I will read up on it.  Riding yesterday I stopped a little way into the ride to back the rebound damping down to 3 clicks from the 2 I set it at.  It performed well the rest of the ride.  It was pretty cool weather and didn't hit much that made it work very hard.  My guess is it is still giving up the ghost.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Chris Canning

If you had a brand new stock shock on and went aftermarket you would have somewhat of a surprise it's a vast gulf between them,don't get hung up on cost an all singing dancing Hagon isn't cheap and that's why I said compare spec not price,I wouldn't spend money on a shock that doesn't have a remote preload or a remote reservoir,without the first it'll be a hassle and without the second in the end over a distance it'll get hot and bothered.

brad1098

I'm in the same boat needing a new shock.

Hagan does not offer a remote reservoir.
02 black-Lorna

Chris Canning

Quote from: brad1098 on October 15, 2013, 02:52:24 AM
I'm in the same boat needing a new shock.

Hagan does not offer a remote reservoir.

I knew that when posting I can only give an opinion and each individual has to make their own mind up based on needs and finance.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12972.0.html

Dutch

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 14, 2013, 04:39:56 PM
I wouldn't spend money on a shock that doesn't have a remote preload or a remote reservoir,
Neither would I:

Supplier does ship overseas  :icon_wink:

cdubya

06 Girly

cba191

who in the US sells the Wilbers?  I'm 6'2", 225 pounds and am planning an Alaska trip for next summer.  I didn't see that one on the Hyperpro website.  I've inquired about the racetech shock, and am just comparing prices at this point. 
That one is a thing of beauty.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Mustang

NortonCharlie

Found this for Hyperpro
http://epmperf.com/price-lists/Shocks%2007-13.pdf

I thought I was looking at Wilbers, I suppose I just have to write for a quote for one like Dutch has shown?

01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

cba191

Quote from: NortonCharlie on October 15, 2013, 10:56:19 PM
Found this for Hyperpro
http://epmperf.com/price-lists/Shocks%2007-13.pdf

I thought I was looking at Wilbers, I suppose I just have to write for a quote for one like Dutch has shown?

I've seen that one, but the only one I say was a fixed red.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Chris Canning

Quote from: Dutch on October 15, 2013, 05:23:19 PM
Quote from: Chris Canning on October 14, 2013, 04:39:56 PM
I wouldn't spend money on a shock that doesn't have a remote preload or a remote reservoir,
Neither would I:

Supplier does ship overseas  :icon_wink:

The shock on my K1200 is like that but it's superseded by a shock with an integral res the same as an Ohlins.

Quality wise I don't think there's anything between the Wilbers and the Hyperpro,the only problem I can see with the Hyperpro is they are purple :icon_wink:

NortonCharlie

I got on the Wilbers site and it looks like for the wire wheeled 955 that you have a choice of
model 640-0630-00 for 499.00 
model 641-0630-00 for 699.00
and the hydraulic preload is 625-0046-00 for 199.00  all prices in Euros I believe. 

If I am not mistaken the 641 has the remote reservoir.

So everything all out $950.00 + $270.00 =$1220 plus whatever it takes to get it here.  About $250 less without the remote reservoir.  That sounds like a lot but really not to bad. 

Do those numbers sound about right?
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando