News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shock on it's last legs

Started by NortonCharlie, October 13, 2013, 01:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfeesh

I have been quoted nearly a grand for the same combination of shock and fork spring upgrades from the Halesowen Chappie, looking around for better quotes now though. The 642 with the hydrabollock adjuster seems top notch  :thumbsup even though it is the priciest at @840 poonds  :bug_eye
Tiptop

Chris Canning

The problem being he's the UK importer although of recent I've noticed a guy down south selling Wilbers on ebay and may be in the same situation as the Ohlins importer(Harris) they have to stick to a price and people they supply are cheaper,try our Dutch contact on here and mine on the k1200 came via America they were cheaper!!,I didn't buy e'm new but I know the guy who did hence he told me the story.

If you look on German Ebay there's a Wilbers(wire wheel) on there with all the bells and Whistles but looks a bit scabby and may have had a hard life plus you'll have to check what weight spring is on it,oh and there's a Hagon on UK ebay.

Bigfeesh

I have been doing some research and now have Hyperpro, YSS, MC (EMC?) and Wilbers on the menu. For a Hyperpro Calsoprt have quoted me for the fully adjustable shock with adjustable high & low speed compression, adjustable rebound and hydraulic preload £845 or without hydraulic preload for £645. I ain't too keen on Hydraulic pre load as they seem to be a tad gimmicky and expensive! All of the dealers I have had comms with have been helpful to say the least  :icon_salut:. I will also install linear springs on the front legs, common sense really  :nod.
Tiptop

Chris Canning

Not keen on a hydraulic preload  :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: you are kidding me,a gimmick  :icon_scratch: wait till your fannying about on the side of the road with your C spanner and you can hear all the grit on the thread when your moving the locking rings your hands cover in shit just skinned your knuckles because the spanner slipped off  :icon_lol: 200 quids worth of difference you'll be prepared to have paid double  :icon_wink:,plus when you can hop off the bike and do it in 3 seconds flat and the resale will be zilch without one.

Did Cal sport say they'll need your weight etc.

Don't forget to change the oil weight a decent rear shock will over power the stock front end.

Bigfeesh

okaaaaay, maybe I will then! :bowdown I took it for granted that Calsport wanted my weights, they were going to be informed of them anyways  :augie. I am still undecided but the Hyperpro is slightly ahead of Wilbers, the YSS had my interest, even though they are made in Thailand (Triumph :bad) but the shop, Kamar, did mention he had to refer to Holland for a final setup/combination price.
Tiptop

Chris Canning

Doesn't matter which one you go for,more down to back up or the colour of the spring  :icon_lol:,which ever one you buy will be a billion light years better than the crap stock one.

The down side of what you are doing it's an addiction,the VFR guy I have mentioned before who fitted a Wilbers and had a Dymag front wheel has thought about the new VFR but knows full well that he'll be back to a stocker that needs sorting,and hence why I've still got my Tiger despite trying to find an option.

Bigfeesh

I had my Speed Triple sorted a while ago and thought the same but you can always remove the farkle shocks and fleabay them if you ditch the bike or sell it returned to oem.
Tiptop

cba191

One of my winter projects is here.   :XXsunsmile

'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

I know all about shocks on it's last legs  :icon_lol:

brad1098

Quote from: cba191 on December 21, 2013, 07:02:19 AM
One of my winter projects is here.   :XXsunsmile

What did you go with and what was the cost if you don't mins sharing.
02 black-Lorna

cba191

They are the Wilbers. I'm not sure the exact model #. I called and talked to Ted at "the Beemer shop". We talked about the bike, my riding, and a bunch of other things and this is what we came up with. It took about 20-30 minutes to order. I was surprised how thorough he was.  After it was all said and done, I was about $1200 lighter.

brad1098

Thanks,  while I do not argue the need for a major upgrade on the ol girl.  The $1,200 hurts.  That's the entire value of my 84 CT110.  Seems like a crappy trade. 
02 black-Lorna

Chris Canning

Quote from: brad1098 on January 12, 2014, 03:51:32 PM
Thanks,  while I do not argue the need for a major upgrade on the ol girl.  The $1,200 hurts.  That's the entire value of my 84 CT110.  Seems like a crappy trade.

That's the problem with doing it to an old bike,you have to ask yourself if your in it for the long haul divide the price by ex number of years and it gets cheaper

cba191

I'm stressing a bit. I got the swing arm off, so I was able to remove the lower mounting bolt. I'm just scared of damaging something when I drive out the sleeves. Do the sleeves fill the whole diameter if the tube?  Do I want a drift that fills the opening as completely as possible?