News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shock on it's last legs

Started by NortonCharlie, October 13, 2013, 01:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch

For the wire wheel Girly length adjustment (0-10 mm) is an option. Cost is about $ 56.

Chris Canning

Quote from: cba191 on October 17, 2013, 11:26:28 AM
they are height adjustable as well?

Don't go thinking it's like an ajustable seat the ride height adjuster is for adjusting how quickly the bike steers not you getting your feet on the ground although it may help a little bit but that's not what it is there for,and I'd question if you need it because you'll get the same results dropping the forks through the clamps.

Dutch

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 17, 2013, 12:40:21 PM
Don't go thinking it's like an ajustable seat the ride height adjuster is for adjusting how quickly the bike steers not you getting your feet on the ground although it may help a little bit but that's not what it is there for,and I'd question if you need it because you'll get the same results dropping the forks through the clamps.
The Wilbers is also available different length than standard. So you could for example order one -10 mm with height adjustment. That way it is possible to go back to original lenght. To do so by the way you have to get the shock out of the bike.

Small adjustments can be made using the spring preload. It is not meant to set the bike higher or lower, but a bit is possible without ending up with too little or too much preload.

cba191

'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Bixxer Bob

I bought a shortened Hagon and dropped the forks through the yokes so the steering geometry stays the same.  It feels like sitting in it rather than on it, but I get my feet down more easily.  If doing a longer trip I put my Airhawk on the seat and I'm back where I started.  But more comfortable.  :icon_mrgreen:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: cba191 on October 17, 2013, 05:25:55 PM
That makes more sense.

It might make sense you,but I'd pay good money to watch you guys with one of these shocks,remote preload separate compression and rebound now you want to deal with a variable shock length  :icon_eek:,thats a mighty black hole your looking into,oh and of course you have the fork adjustment to take into consideration,I'm all for after market suspension but there's a line in the sand and after that it's mud and alligators if your not carefull or more to the point know what you want.

Bixxer Bob

Precisely why I lowered the front the same amount as the back Chris.  I took some height measurements before and after fitting the Hagon and dropped the front the same amount.  The Hagon is set up for my weight (which made the first ride with a lot of extra weight interesting) so all is well.  The front still behaves the way it always has, the back - you can tell the Hagon is a shorter and progressive as it's quite pliant over small bumps and holes but firms up if the surface is rougher.  I've not touched the damping, it seems fine to me. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cba191

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 17, 2013, 07:10:27 PM
Quote from: cba191 on October 17, 2013, 05:25:55 PM
That makes more sense.

It might make sense you,but I'd pay good money to watch you guys with one of these shocks,remote preload separate compression and rebound now you want to deal with a variable shock length  :icon_eek:,thats a mighty black hole your looking into,oh and of course you have the fork adjustment to take into consideration,I'm all for after market suspension but there's a line in the sand and after that it's mud and alligators if your not carefull or more to the point know what you want.

the thing is, once it's set, you don't mess with it.  I hate messing with adjustments. Ideally, everything will be just the way I want it when it shows up. On my old bike, with the ohlins, the only thing I ever touched was the preload.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Chris Canning

That's the joy of a custom shock no matter who's made it.

Spud

Revs Racing in Halesowen has quoted me £700 for a Wilbers shock set up for my weight and to re build the forks with new  Wilber internals and lower the bike if I want it lowered.
The guy went through a lot of things for me with no sales pitch other than saying it will transform your bike,

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Chris Canning

Quote from: Spud on October 19, 2013, 09:42:05 AM
Revs Racing in Halesowen has quoted me £700 for a Wilbers shock set up for my weight and to re build the forks with new  Wilber internals and lower the bike if I want it lowered.
The guy went through a lot of things for me with no sales pitch other than saying it will transform your bike,

Well he doesn't need to do a sales pitch cuz he's the only bloke who sells e'm  :icon_biggrin: it's called a captive market!! but for 700 quid including the forks you won't be getting a shock like what we have been talking about on here,Timbox paid £850 for the shock alone and that was a few years ago and from the same person.

This is the trap so many fall into concentrating on price!!! check the spec.

Spud

His quote was for a shock built to my size and weight with remote preload res and sorting the forks out to match. the lowest price he quoted for a rear shock was £280 + vat. I never specified a price bracket.

Chris Canning

Dutch

Quote from: Spud on October 19, 2013, 12:00:52 PM
remote preload res
Preload reservoir? A 640 emulsion type shock? Or a 641 with remote reservoir AND hydraulic preload? Is that price in or ex VAT? That can also be a nice confusion in discussions ;)

@BB, i'd suggest you play a bit with the damping. Specially with the Hagon it is easy to keep track of what you do, so if you don't like it you can always go back.

Chris Canning

It'll include vat but I was interested to see if it was a 642,but regardless that's good money with the forks as well.