News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shock on it's last legs

Started by NortonCharlie, October 13, 2013, 01:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: cba191 on January 12, 2014, 10:51:20 PM
I'm stressing a bit. I got the swing arm off, so I was able to remove the lower mounting bolt. I'm just scared of damaging something when I drive out the sleeves. Do the sleeves fill the whole diameter if the tube?  Do I want a drift that fills the opening as completely as possible?
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,3683.msg21441.html#msg21441

cba191

Thank you for the link Mustang.  He was exactly where I am right now.  I bought some drifts, and I'm going in. I just don't want to break anything. Do you recommend that I do the swing arm bearings while it's off?
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Mustang

only if they need it .......................

cba191

cba191

drift isn't working.  i was thinking about taking the swingarm to a shop, but I could buy a a 12 ton press from harbor freight for less than what a shop would charge.  :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-a-frame-industrial-heavy-duty-floor-shop-press-1667.html

Bixxer Bob

If you have room you'll never regret buying the press. But then you'll need bespoke mandrels and collars for each bearing/sleeve/etc you press out/in so now you'll need a lathe.... and so it goes on  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

:iagree depends on your budget and the space available in your man Castle, oh and directors approval  :nono
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

cba191

Even with the press, that thing is NOT wanting to budge. What am I doing wrong?

Mustang

try pushing it out the other direction , maybe it's tapered ?

cba191

I'll give that a shot. I didn't even think of that. Nothing I've read mentioned that as a possibility.

Sin_Tiger

Check the outer diameters at each end, that should a clue as to whether it's tapered or has a step in it.  No evidence of grub screws hidden by muck or locking compound along the outside.?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

cba191

I'll definitely check both those things. I'd hate to have bought a press only to still have to take the thing to a shop.

cba191

Crap. It's a no go. I wonder how much a shop would charge to get it out. The press is really unstable, but about the only thing it would be good for is breaking beads on a tire. How is harbor freight's return policy?  I'll even let them keep all the hardware I bought to actually get it put together.

cba191

I feel shame.

took the swing arm to the shop. $96/hr. Hopefully it won't take more than an hour.

Mustang

Quote from: cba191 on January 16, 2014, 09:39:11 PM
I feel shame.

took the swing arm to the shop. $96/hr. Hopefully it won't take more than an hour.
probably take a few minutes of set-up and the reality is........... it will take them less than a minute to actually push the sleeve out .