News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Got the bike home

Started by rf9rider, November 29, 2009, 12:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Cheers.  :wink: I looked at Nik's swing arm but it's not much better than mine other than the bearings and seals might be in better condition. Just had an email from him and he has some shock drag links so he might be able to help you out there too, he's rebuilding one for me, stuffed bearings again  :roll:

He just Emailed me about the shock linkage, no secondhand ones but offered me a rebuilt one for £105 plus postage.

Will wait until i decide wether to go for the oem set up.

JetdocX

I think you guys with the blue ones are the craziest of the bunch of us... :lol:
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "rf9rider"Will wait until i decide wether to go for the oem set up.

Yup, ride it for a bit first, if you get dry weather  :shock: , otherwise you will start wondering why you bought it, do wonder where that setup came from though :?

That's us - Crazy Blue Men
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

93TigerBill

Quote from: "JetdocX"I think you guys with the blue ones are the craziest of the bunch of us... :lol:
Oi!
I resemble that remark!
 :D
Bill  IBA# 45911
Newcastle, Australia
\'93 Tiger Caspian Blue
130,000 km & counting!

coachgeo

Something just hit me, wonder if this swing arm allows for lower adjustments in ride height?  

Maybe it was swapped to better fit a former short rider?  Or Tall for that matter?

Just a thought.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

rf9rider

Quote from: "coachgeo"Something just hit me, wonder if this swing arm allows for lower adjustments in ride height?  

Maybe it was swapped to better fit a former short rider?  Or Tall for that matter?

Just a thought.

At the moment, its too tall. i`m just under 6 feet tall, and i struggle to touch the floor on tip toe!

I`ve not had time to mess with the bike yet, but i`ve got an original swingarm on the way, and i just received the original swingarm linkage, just need the shock now, thought about a brand new Hagon.

When i get time to do anything on the bike i`ll let you know.

rf9rider

Well Chaps, its finally ready for the road.  :D

Replaced the Trophy?  swingarm and shock with original, made up a new chain rub bracket, had the shock rebuilt, fitted a new airbox and filter,  done the high front fender mod, fitted a new centre stand, cleaned the paint off the rear rim, removed the awful blue carbon company end cans, cleaned and repainted the original  end cans and replaced a few other little parts.

Still needs a lot of tidying but summers here and time to get a few miles on it to see if there are any other issues need sorting.  :lol:

rf9rider

Quote from: "rf9rider"
Quote from: "coachgeo"Something just hit me, wonder if this swing arm allows for lower adjustments in ride height?  

Just a thought.

At the moment, its too tall. i`m just under 6 feet tall, and i struggle to touch the floor on tip toe!

I`ve not had time to mess with the bike yet, but i`ve got an original swingarm on the way, and i just received the original swingarm linkage, just need the shock now, thought about a brand new Hagon.

When i get time to do anything on the bike i`ll let you know.

And just to let you know the height is the same with both swing arms.  :wink:

Bixxer Bob

Next time you have the wheels off, I found that Hammerite smooth silver is a good match for Triumph silver used on the brake disc centres.  Refurbed my Trident discs that way... :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

Rear disc has had it, its rusty and quite badly scored, so i`ll be fitting a new one before MOT time.

Front discs are fairly new.  :D

rf9rider

Well Chaps, found the next problem.
Bike  was running far too rich, so off with the carbs as i thought they might have been re jetted for the cans that were on it.
Several of the float bowl screws were rounded off, so had to knock them round with a small chisel, all out safely.
First problem, one of the float bowl o rings was missing!
Second problem, looks like someone has had the carbs in a vice, couple of pieces missing where the air filter connects.
Carb number 3 is very gummed up, and the float assembly is a strange colour compared to 1 and 2.
The main jets were standard, although the needles were set on the top clip.
So i`m after a decent set of carbs, as number 3 is beyond repair.  :roll:

What i thought was a cheap buy is turning into a money pit.  :lol:

Still, i`m enjoying the challenge, and learning fast about the Tiger.

ramseybella

Quote from: "rf9rider"Well Chaps, found the next problem.
Bike  was running far too rich, so off with the carbs as i thought they might have been re jetted for the cans that were on it.
Several of the float bowl screws were rounded off, so had to knock them round with a small chisel, all out safely.
First problem, one of the float bowl o rings was missing!
Second problem, looks like someone has had the carbs in a vice, couple of pieces missing where the air filter connects.
Carb number 3 is very gummed up, and the float assembly is a strange colour compared to 1 and 2.
The main jets were standard, although the needles were set on the top clip.
So i`m after a decent set of carbs, as number 3 is beyond repair.  :roll:

What i thought was a cheap buy is turning into a money pit.  :lol:

Still, i`m enjoying the challenge, and learning fast about the Tiger.

May want to make an offer on these>>>  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94-95 ... ccessories

But then these could be Pieces of Dung as well??  :evil:

Rocinante

Quote from: "rf9rider"Well Chaps, its finally ready for the road.  :D

Replaced the Trophy?  swingarm and shock with original, made up a new chain rub bracket, had the shock rebuilt, fitted a new airbox and filter,  done the high front fender mod, fitted a new centre stand, cleaned the paint off the rear rim, removed the awful blue carbon company end cans, cleaned and repainted the original  end cans and replaced a few other little parts.

A question regarding the centre stand; It´s this right: http://alturl.com/e5f8 (short link to sw-motech´s centre stand)?

It´s listed to fit Tigers from 98-00, a bit strange since my 98 is the last in line before the new model in 99.

I haven´t owned a centre stand since the original stand hit a bump in a sharp turn and made bike, driver and passenger go down hard back when the bike was new. But I´ve missed it every time I had a puncture or had to do emeregency repair along the road, which have been a few times.

If it fits my 98, can you tell me approx. how heavy it is and if it sticks out a lot on each side.

Dag
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

rf9rider

Got mine from here http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/

Probably weighs about 5kgs.

Doesn`t stick out much at all.

Mustang

Quote from: "Rocinante"A question regarding the centre stand; It´s this right: http://alturl.com/e5f8 (short link to sw-motech´s centre stand)?

It´s listed to fit Tigers from 98-00, a bit strange since my 98 is the last in line before the new model in 99.

I haven´t owned a centre stand since the original stand hit a bump in a sharp turn and made bike, driver and passenger go down hard back when the bike was new. But I´ve missed it every time I had a puncture or had to do emeregency repair along the road, which have been a few times.

If it fits my 98, can you tell me approx. how heavy it is and if it sticks out a lot on each side.

Dag

Dag
If it is in fact the one for the link you posted it is correct

now for the rest of the story .......
if you didn't like the stock one that was on your triumph you are not going to like the SW Motech stand ............they are one and the same

Guess who made the original steamer stand