News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2016 UK Meet Planning Part 3 - Route discussion. Location: Haggs Bank Bunkhouse

Started by Bixxer Bob, February 15, 2016, 01:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

OK guys, like last year, try to keep on topic; suggestions for route for Geoff to think about, suggestions for accomodation, that sort of thing.  Also, so that we're not in the saddle full time, if there are any atractions you'd like to visit they can go here too. 

From me, the obvious is the run up to Hartside Cafe and don the other side  popular with those that like twisties, but there's a fantastic Roman fort on Hadrians Wall and - if we push that far North - Lindisfarne Island is possible; although the causeway is under water at high tide so may not fit in with our timings. If you fancy some posh gear Barbour have a factory outlet shop at South Shields which could be a Friday afternoon jaunt for those there early etc. Just some ideas.....

Also, I had an email  from a guy who lives south of Newcastle last night; he has a workshop and vanon offer so we have no breakdown worries.  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

When we all went up to Scotland I went through the North Pennines from Barnard castle to Stanhope and it was pretty amazing, I thought.

When I came back I went to Bamburgh Castle, which was also amazing.

I got the feeling that the whole place, the whole NE was, by and large, pretty amazing.

But then I went to Sunderland.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JayDub

Just to start things rolling, Geoff suggested this at first, It has a bunkhouse and I would be camping, so suits me anyway:

http://www.demesnefarmcampsite.co.uk/

Geoff W

Let me know of anything you want to see or avoid, I will do my best. I will certainly be avoiding Sunderland, Hartlepool and The Metro Shopping Centre, they are places I only go to if someone is paying me to work ( apart from the occasional trip to The Stadium of Light if I feel stupidly optimistic).
A group of friends of mine did a team treasure hunt around Northumberland on a bunch of bikes of all types a few years ago, I will try and pinch some of the roads they used. I thought I knew the area well until I went out with them.
As most people will be travelling from the South apart from Sin, I thought meeting up somewhere on the A66 on Friday afternoon and doing a twisty route up through the Pennines would be an idea.
Long haul for the IOW boys though.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

Quote from: Geoff W on February 18, 2016, 09:30:33 PM
Long haul for the IOW boys though.

:iagree, but hopefully worth it, will probably add a day or 2 on to make it a long weekend, maybe ride up thu and back down mon. Gonna mention it to Mo next weekend when he fixes my roof, he's got an 800XR now, so will probably be keen. Haven't seen Ted (Richard) in ages, but he's got a new S3 so would prob be keen to give that a good run too.

All i've gotta do is locate all the bits i stripped off back in the autumn, bolt it all back together and see if the old girl will fire up OK. I did drain the carbs completely so fingers crossed it'll be ok.  :wheel
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

JayDub

The A66 sounds OK, I would have probably left the M6 somewhere around that point anyway, so either way would break the motorway monotony.

blacktiger

Quote from: JayDub on February 19, 2016, 08:21:35 PM
The A66 sounds OK, I would have probably left the M6 somewhere around that point anyway, so either way would break the motorway monotony.

And there was me thinking he meant the A1 end of the A66.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

PeteH

Bellingham looks the place go 😀 bunkhouse or maybe camping if I get this excuse for a body sorted by then...
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

JayDub

Quote from: blacktiger on February 20, 2016, 08:58:24 PM
And there was me thinking he meant the A1 end of the A66.
To understand my logic, you must first appreciate my deep dislike for motorways when on 2 wheels.  I was planning a route to Bellingham and so by using the M6 I can chop out some of it by taking A roads... even if it does add an hour and a half to my journey  :icon_biggrin:

blacktiger

Quote from: JayDub on February 21, 2016, 12:27:53 PM
To understand my logic, you must first appreciate my deep dislike for motorways when on 2 wheels.  I was planning a route to Bellingham and so by using the M6 I can chop out some of it by taking A roads... even if it does add an hour and a half to my journey  :icon_biggrin:

I'm exactly the same. But from the south east you HAVE to take the A1 to Scotch Corner. Otherwise it traffic and congestion everywhere.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

If you don't mind going out of your way you can leave the A1 at Peterborough,  then take A15 via Lincoln to the Humber Bridge, then Beverley, Scarborough, Whitby, over the moors to Middlesborough, pick up the A19 and then on to the Tyne tunnel.  I've done it a couple of times, going north and coming back, its a bit (well actually a lot) longer but a very nice ride.

Puts about another 2 hours on the journey; less if the A1 has traffic issues.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Geoff W

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 21, 2016, 10:11:05 PM
If you don't mind going out of your way you can leave the A1 at Peterborough,  then take A15 via Lincoln to the Humber Bridge, then Beverley, Scarborough, Whitby, over the moors to Middlesborough, pick up the A19 and then on to the Tyne tunnel.  I've done it a couple of times, going north and coming back, its a bit (well actually a lot) longer but a very nice ride.

Puts about another 2 hours on the journey; less if the A1 has traffic issues.
Some of us have issues with the Humber Bridge!

I was thinking of meeting up at a farm shop/cafe on the A66 ,it is easy to find, you just look out for the pair of camels in the field, or The Cafe at Hartside Pass on the A686.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Sin_Tiger

Good idea. Glad to see you haven't taken the hump at my previous comments  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

mat-tiger1

Are we saying Bellingham as our base then guys?   :icon_scratch:

The area looks good to me! Plenty to see & do! :thumbsup
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.