News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2016 UK Meet Planning Part 3 - Route discussion. Location: Haggs Bank Bunkhouse

Started by Bixxer Bob, February 15, 2016, 01:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Geoff,

Are there any chaps sticking around for the Sunday? We're booked to stay until the Monday, and wondered what to do Sunday.
Had you made any plans?

After chatting with Rich & Mo, we are looking at shooting up to Carlisle airport to take a look at the Vulcan Bomber, then maybe dropping down into the Lakes, do a few passes and stop somewhere for a roasty.  Just an idea really, happy to bow to your local knowledge if you had something else lined up.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

nickjtc

For the record my house sold while I was on 'the trip' but having to rent a trailer to get the old girl home used up all of the funds I might have used to get there to join you.

So have a GREAT time!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Geoff W

I have just got home from trying out a ride route for Saturday, about 250  miles, took 6 1/2 hours with stops.Riding around the Borders area. Is this ok ? Or do people want more distance or less.
I have not thought about Sunday as I assumed people were heading home then. If you want to go to Carlisle Airport( really airfield is more accurate ), take the lovely road over the moors from Alston to Brampton and pick up the A69 there, then head towards the North Carlisle junction of the M6/M74, you will see the airport signposted.
Personally I prefer to avoid the Lake District on a Summer Sunday, too many caravans and all the other stuff.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Bixxer Bob

6 1/2 hrs is ok on a solo run Geoff, but given that running a Tiger meet ride is a bit like herding cats  it could well take longer than that.  Im only guessing though because I don't know the roads you are using, I trust your judgement.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on June 15, 2016, 07:26:35 PM
6 1/2 hrs is ok on a solo run Geoff, but given that running a Tiger meet ride is a bit like herding cats  it could well take longer than that.  Im only guessing though because I don't know the roads you are using, I trust your judgement.

Seems OK to me. Even if it did extend to 8 hours and leaving at 10am we'd be back in time for dinner. :thumbsup
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Geoff W

Totally agree with Bixer.  Yes I am assuming a 10:00 start ( may be optimistic ) and I thought that would allow time for the inevitable F**k ups and still be back for a reasonable time. I will sort out an alternative ride keeping more to the East side in case of poor weather to the West.
Weird weather here for the last month with a North-Easterly blowing  , giving awful cloud and wet,including fog on the hills, so heading West makes sense, and is very scenic. With luck and sacrificing a few goats it should revert to the usual South- Westerly, which gives more predictable conditions. :*
Thinking of Sunday, if people want a ride out to Carlisle Airfield and then onward, doing a route via Newcastleton and Kielder could be good, however one of the roads around there is closed.
Actually quite a few of the roads are closed from the winter floods, but we will be OK , no one will notice 10 bikes riding over a closed bridge on Saturday, will they. :nono
Going back to Sunday , leaving Carlisle, the coast road to Whitehaven and on to Barrow on Furness is quite good and relatively easy to pass caravans. Will have a ride out to check, it is part of the local Air Ambulance 500 mile boundary route, which I did a few years ago.
On to house keeping stuff: final numbers, how many going? Do we want a lift to pub on Friday and or Saturday , if so are we going to the Green Dragon at Garigill, or the Miners Arms at Nenthead, we will need numbers to book food if going. We have a barbecue available on Friday night, Danny has some beer to sell, but it will be useful to take some of our own, we can pick up food for barbecue at the farm shop on the A66, we can call at the CO-OP in Frosterley or similar to pick up beer etc to take to bunkhouse, keep space in top boxes / panniers for cans and bottles.  :occasion14:occasion14
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

GavD

Geoff,

We'll go with the flow, majority rule etc ............ but if Sat is a long day, suggest fri night bbq and tinnies, and pub on Sat (no preference on which pub). Later start sunday for a dawdle around day.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

blacktiger

I'm just counting on being able to follow the leader. As for the beer, I'm plotting now to come up via a brewery shop somewhere.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

mat-tiger1

Quote from: Geoff W on June 16, 2016, 10:24:33 PM
keep space in top boxes / panniers for cans and bottles.  :occasion14:occasion14

Isn't that what they're for? :m I'm easy (don't tell everyone! :icon_redface:) and I'll go with the majority on pub visits etc, (i'm a sociable type of guy!) preferably somewhere with proper beer & food!  :augie but if it happens that we need to book stuff up before hand, put me down for Fri & Sat.  :thumbsup

If necessary I can pick up some beers en route or set out on a beer run once we've landed!  :occasion14
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

PeteH

Ditto what Mat said, also BBQ`s aint so good if its pishing down....has anyone booked the weather yet??
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: PeteH on June 21, 2016, 01:26:54 AM
....has anyone booked the weather yet??

That's your job   :*  Geoff's on T shirts, JayDub's bringing the trolley jack, Mat-Tigers doing snacks, Black-Tigers doing the beer and I'm doing espressos and just looking cool  :mut